Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 07:27 AM   #1

3.2L performance

During a recent track day (very cold and wet) I was at around 4000 rpm and fourth on a long straight ....cruising in the rain behind a mid to late eighties 911sc and finally got a signal to pass. On the throttle from 4K I found I had virtually no overtaking power; my foot was flat and I could barely get by in time for the next sweeper. Not sure if the guy started racing me mid pass.

Does it sound like I have a flat spot in engine performance? It was too fast and wet to fiddle around and experiment.

Old 10-18-2011, 11:07 AM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
During a recent track day (very cold and wet) I was at around 4000 rpm and fourth on a long straight ....cruising in the rain behind a mid to late eighties 911sc and finally got a signal to pass. On the throttle from 4K I found I had virtually no overtaking power; my foot was flat and I could barely get by in time for the next sweeper. Not sure if the guy started racing me mid pass.

Does it sound like I have a flat spot in engine performance? It was too fast and wet to fiddle around and experiment.
It's that heavy rear strut brace that's slowing you down !
Old 10-18-2011, 11:09 AM   #3

Garage
Quote:

In my 2000 3.2, 4000rpm is where I want to be to start a long pass. 4,000rpm is where the engine really starts to make serious power. Maybe your VarioCam is not functioning.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 11:36 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
It's that heavy rear strut brace that's slowing you down !
Danger you of all people should know that a heavy rear strut brace always speeds things up....
Old 10-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver View Post
In my 2000 3.2, 4000rpm is where I want to be to start a long pass. 4,000rpm is where the engine really starts to make serious power. Maybe your VarioCam is not functioning.
Yes exactly....I will investigate the vario cam function. I trust this can be done without a dyno?
Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Yes exactly....I will investigate the vario cam function. I trust this can be done without a dyno?
Yeah, try your butt dyno 1st, with car in 2nd gear @ 1,500 rpm floor it, VarioCam kicks in between 2200-2500 rpm & revs really take off @ 4000rpm. If your not feeling it then remove cover behind the seats & with trans in neutral rev engine from idle slowly thru 2000-2700rpm & you should hear VarioCam change over if it's working.
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #7

Or, you might have been momentarily traveling in time. There's no such thing as a mid-late 80's 911SC.
Series9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 06:06 PM   #8

My 2000S had the same flat spot during acceleration when I first got it. Ran fine until the RPM's and load got high. Check the fuel filter and other areas related to fuel delivery.
3X Water Pump, Clear side markers, Crios Mod, Front engine mount, Flywheel, clutch, RMS, AOS, MAF, serpentine belt, power brake vacuum line, battery, 2X CV boots, Fuel filter, Oil filler tube, 3X ignition switch, 90K service, gas cap
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 08:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Series9 View Post
Or, you might have been momentarily traveling in time. There's no such thing as a mid-late 80's 911SC.
Okay drop the sc ....should have less power unless it was modified

Last edited by jaykay; 10-19-2011 at 06:24 AM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 06:34 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinnaker View Post
My 2000S had the same flat spot during acceleration when I first got it. Ran fine until the RPM's and load got high. Check the fuel filter and other areas related to fuel delivery.
Yes I was wanting to change out the filter last week, a service advisor at the a dealership indicated that it was a life time item!!???
Old 10-19-2011, 06:54 AM   #11
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Okay drop the sc ....should have less power unless it was modified
Mmmmm, a late 80s 964 Carrera has a potent 3.6L and will easily hang with a Box S on the straights. Never underestimate those air pumpers.

Regarding your 4K flat spot, this was the first symptom I got when my MAF was heading south. A flat spot developed around 4-5K and the CEL didn't show until a month later.
Old 10-19-2011, 07:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless View Post
Mmmmm, a late 80s 964 Carrera has a potent 3.6L and will easily hang with a Box S on the straights. Never underestimate those air pumpers.

Regarding your 4K flat spot, this was the first symptom I got when my MAF was heading south. A flat spot developed around 4-5K and the CEL didn't show until a month later.
Yes it could be my relativity reference that is the problem here and it felt like I was not moving; I may have been too occupied to notice the additional thrust and engine note. I don't think it was a 964 but I will try and look at the exact model and post a visual here. If model year was in the first half of the eighties would I be dealing with a 3.6? I had thought that it would be carrying a 3.2 at most.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:05 PM   #13

I'll go along with Topless - my maf went south without throwing a CEL, in fact I only noticed a problem when I ran my 3 monthly Durametric check which showed up a maf problem. When I replaced the maf, the midrange torque was much improved - something I had overlooked just driving on the street.
Up untill 1988, the ROW Carrera's ran the 3.2 l engines with up to 231bhp, but you can get a lot of bits to increase the power to 300bhp easily.