Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #1

Noise at Startup

For the last few weeks I have been getting a very noisy start-up. In my younger days it would indicate a starter going bad. In this instance it doesn't happen after that first start. I can drive and start several times over an afternoons ride and never hear the noise.

My next thought was oil issues on the top side. This would might hold true because the noise doesn't happen after the initial start. Oil level is fine.

Anyone out there with similar problems or have an idea what mine could be?

Thanks,

Tom

02 Boxster S
Lapis Blue
tombea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:31 PM   #2

What kind of noise are you experiencing?
If its a shriek that lasts only a second after twisting the key, it could well be the starter bendix failing to retract - its caused by lack of lubrication or a buildup of debris.
Only solution is to remove the starter motor and lube (dry lube only) the shaft.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:42 AM   #3

If it only happens on a cold start my guess (I'm no expert so guess is the right word) might be chain tensioners or lifters. My 2000 S makes a nasty sound for about 1/2 second after startup but doesn't do it during the summer months, only when the weather turns a little cool. I have 10w-40 oil in it now and plan to change to 5w-40 or maybe even 0w-40 and see if that makes a difference.

Like I said, I'm not an expert so take it for what it's worth.
Dale_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Its not uncommon to hear the timing chain and tensioners rattle at startup, especially when cold. With the weather cooling off, you might be hearing this again for the first time in many months.

This will typically sound like chains rattling around for 1-2 seconds until the oil pressure comes up and then it will quiet down. You also might get a short bit of white smoke out the tailpipe. Usually happens on the first start of the day but it can vary.

Generally, this is nothnig to worry abgout. If its more than this, let us know some more details.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 PM   #5

Thanks for the help guys, it was the starter. Replaced it with a rebuilt Bosch for $200 and $190 installation.

Tom

02 Boxster S
Lapis Blue
tombea is offline   Reply With Quote