Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2011, 07:19 PM   #1

Garage
Oil leak at 5 Plug

While I had my car apart I saw oil film at number 5 spark plug. I went to the dealer to get parts to seal this. On a 2003 2.7 they said the plug tubes need pulled and sealed. They sold me 3 tubes and 3 inner and 3 outer orings. When I pulled the coils I could see aluminum instead of the black tubes. The head cover has 4 or 6 less screws than the book showed and when I removed the cover it had green cup type seals. Back at the dealer he says I have head from a 2005. the block serial # M96.2365306303 which is a 2003 block Is this possible or is he wrong. Its back together now running no seapage but I'm confused or is he confused

* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:37 AM   #2

2003 Boxster Service Information Book

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
While I had my car apart I saw oil film at number 5 spark plug. I went to the dealer to get parts to seal this. On a 2003 2.7 they said the plug tubes need pulled and sealed. They sold me 3 tubes and 3 inner and 3 outer orings. When I pulled the coils I could see aluminum instead of the black tubes. The head cover has 4 or 6 less screws than the book showed and when I removed the cover it had green cup type seals. Back at the dealer he says I have head from a 2005. the block serial # M96.2365306303 which is a 2003 block Is this possible or is he wrong. Its back together now running no seapage but I'm confused or is he confused
On my DIY Project: Change Spark Plugs & Tubes

It states:
Note: For model year 2003 and newer, the plastic spark plug tubes were replaced with the metal tubes that only get serviced during engine disassembly.
From the 2003 Boxster Service Information Book - under engine changes:
"The oil protection tubes are now a component part of the valve lifter housing and sealed to the cylinder head cover with formed oil seal rings."

That particular person at your dealership doesn't know what he's talking about.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro
Old 09-29-2011, 03:22 PM   #3

Garage
Thank You. If you would mind one more question. One coil has a crack near the top. Don't notice any miss etc. Replace this one or all of them. my guess there all the same age. I don't know I got the car used.
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 08:17 PM   #4

You can replace just the cracked coil, but I would remove and inspect the others to make 100% sure that they are not cracked too.
Even cracked coils work OK untill the first rain shower.......