Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
Carnut

Thumbs up 997 shifter installed!

So today I installed my new to me 997 shifter.

Bought it used via Ebay, 3 months old from a seller in Canada for $150 shipped to my door. It is the standard version. Practically new!

Just looking at the 2 shifters side by side it is very noticeable how much better built the 997 is.

The install went totally easy and smooth. I looked at the B&M and Pelican instructions, no problems. As a matter of fact I had the B&M instructions on my laptop on the passenger seat, just making sure

It took me approx. 1 hour, and that proceeding slowly.

The adjustment is spot on, absolutely no problem, I marked the cables as shown and suggested.

Shifting is much better than before, shorter throws and more "snicky-ti-snick". There is still some slop but again, better than before.

Shifting effort is about the same.

All in all a worthwhile mod if you like your car and details are important to you. I would do it again, maybe even the 997 short shifter.

Driving is more fun than before. Together with the UD pulley, TT and bypass pipes the car is now so much nicer than stock!

Finally a big thank you for all the people who figured this mod out, did it and shared their experience!

Later,
Andy

Old 09-16-2011, 12:19 PM   #2

Nice photos ??
97 Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 04:49 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA6
So today I installed my new to me 997 shifter.

Bought it used via Ebay, 3 months old from a seller in Canada for $150 shipped to my door. It is the standard version. Practically new!

Just looking at the 2 shifters side by side it is very noticeable how much better built the 997 is.

The install went totally easy and smooth. I looked at the B&M and Pelican instructions, no problems. As a matter of fact I had the B&M instructions on my laptop on the passenger seat, just making sure

It took me approx. 1 hour, and that proceeding slowly.

The adjustment is spot on, absolutely no problem, I marked the cables as shown and suggested.

Shifting is much better than before, shorter throws and more "snicky-ti-snick". There is still some slop but again, better than before.

Shifting effort is about the same.

All in all a worthwhile mod if you like your car and details are important to you. I would do it again, maybe even the 997 short shifter.

Driving is more fun than before. Together with the UD pulley, TT and bypass pipes the car is now so much nicer than stock!

Finally a big thank you for all the people who figured this mod out, did it and shared their experience!

Later,
Andy

Good to hear this.. I have a B&M short throw waiting to go in my car..My concern was getting the cables right but this ups my confidence..happy shifting!
mallai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:33 AM   #4

I put in the 9x7 SHORT shifter years ago and love it.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA6
Trust me the 997 shifter is the "sweet spot" anything shorter will require much more effort for much higher risk of mis-shift, even GT3 does not come with the short shifter.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 07:52 AM   #6
Carnut

As I posted earlier, shift effort is practically the same as before with shorter throws.

"Mod with benefits!"

And again, it was so easy to do!!! Just make sure to mark the shift cables and insert them into the new shifter assembly at the exact same position.
Old 09-24-2011, 04:03 AM   #7

Andy..

I'm in the process of doing my shifter..Did you have any problem getting the console out from around the parking brake?..I had to really contort the console to get it out because the brake lever is in the way..not looking forward to putting it in this way..hopefully won't have to disconnect the PB..
Old 09-24-2011, 06:14 AM   #8
Carnut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallai View Post
Andy..

I'm in the process of doing my shifter..Did you have any problem getting the console out from around the parking brake?..I had to really contort the console to get it out because the brake lever is in the way..not looking forward to putting it in this way..hopefully won't have to disconnect the PB..
A little wiggling will do, also, take off the "batwing" and the left and right trim pieces at the console, that will give you more room. Did you take off the trim piece next to the handbrake between the driver's seat and the lever?

Good luck!
Old 09-24-2011, 09:22 AM   #9
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam View Post
Trust me the 997 shifter is the "sweet spot" anything shorter will require much more effort for much higher risk of mis-shift, even GT3 does not come with the short shifter.
It's different for different transmissions. I wasn't satisfied with the b&m on my 6-speed. I tried it in a '98 5-speed and it's much less notchy.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 10:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyA6 View Post
A little wiggling will do, also, take off the "batwing" and the left and right trim pieces at the console, that will give you more room. Did you take off the trim piece next to the handbrake between the driver's seat and the lever?

Good luck!
Yes, got it in..It went in easier than it did coming out..Thanks.

BTW, anybody doing this for the 1st time I suggest getting a heavy duty utility knife for "cutting" out the front bushings..This was an aggravating step in the process using a standard utilty knife..Each segment behind the face has to be cut out..I used 3 blades before getting them off..Not fun for me.

Just went for a drive..Exactly what I was expecting..Short and quick..really love it..I only have 7k on my 986 so the block bushing and rod end are still in great shape..Something I would suggest changing if you have high mileage.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #11

B&M in my '02 S is nice, smooth and short...guess I got the cables right.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 04:41 PM   #12
l3m

I installed the 997 shifter today using the B&M instructions. Only screw up was I tore a small piece of the leather on the parking brake lever while taking out the console. Anyway, it's a noticeable improvement over the stock shifter. I like it!
Old 01-16-2012, 07:59 PM   #13

when I installed 997 shifter, I made sure that the transmission was not in any gear, kept the green clamp holding the shifter in place and just dropped the cables into the craddle.
I think marking the cable is for aftermarket short shifters without the centering clamp.

sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote