Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2011, 03:15 PM   #1

ROW emissions setting and state inspection

I wanted to run a ROW setting on the 3.4 engine I was installing, which disables cat. efficiency and secondary air injection related fault codes.

I live in NYC, so if I go to inspection and they plug my car into the state OBD2 reader, will I pass? Or will it say "systems not ready"? I would really like to run a nice set of headers and a catless exhaust...

Bigsmoothlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #2

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmoothlee
I wanted to run a ROW setting on the 3.4 engine I was installing, which disables cat. efficiency and secondary air injection related fault codes.

I live in NYC, so if I go to inspection and they plug my car into the state OBD2 reader, will I pass? Or will it say "systems not ready"? I would really like to run a nice set of headers and a catless exhaust...

If you delete all of the cats, the vehicle will no longer be OBDII compliant, and it will subsequently fail emissions (not to mention CEL's). In addition, from a performance standpoint, it's been my experience (with the 3.2 engine) that going catless will result in a measurable loss of low end and mid range torque.

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 09-13-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:07 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
If you delete all of the cats, the vehicle will no longer be OBDII compliant, and it will subsequently fail emissions (not to mention CEL's). In addition, from a performance standpoint, it's been my experience (with the 3.2 engine) that going catless will result in a measurable loss of low end and mid range torque.
Running RoW spec DME will not read from the 2nd o2 sensors,so you can remove the 2nd set of cats without a CEL light.

You should still pass smog....I was going to do this to my 01' S cause the 2ndary air injection used on cold starts went out and I wasn't gonna pay $1k to replace it when it really does nothing.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:58 PM   #4

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkwatt
Running RoW spec DME will not read from the 2nd o2 sensors,so you can remove the 2nd set of cats without a CEL light.

You should still pass smog....I was going to do this to my 01' S cause the 2ndary air injection used on cold starts went out and I wasn't gonna pay $1k to replace it when it really does nothing.

I would really like to run a nice set of headers and a catless exhaust...

Deleting the secondary cats is a given . He's asking whether or not it's prudent to go completely catless .
Old 09-13-2011, 06:12 PM   #5

I really just wanted to get rid of the stock 2.7 headers, its going to really restrict the 3.4. The tubes are tiny, and there's an even smaller entrance into the primary cat. It looks like a lot of power could be freed up.

Another idea would be to install a high flow cat by the muffler and move the o2 sensors to accommodate it
Old 09-13-2011, 06:46 PM   #6
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
ROW 7.8 DME programming passed Wisconsin's emission inspection.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 04:40 AM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmoothlee
I really just wanted to get rid of the stock 2.7 headers, its going to really restrict the 3.4. The tubes are tiny, and there's an even smaller entrance into the primary cat. It looks like a lot of power could be freed up.

Another idea would be to install a high flow cat by the muffler and move the o2 sensors to accommodate it
Certain that it is , there are many high quality aftermarket companies that offer headers that are far superior in design as compared to the oem units. However, the issue of sourcing high quality aftermarket cats is not only a problem in terms of availability, but the cost factor can be very expen$$ive . Fabspeed offers some different designs for 996 platform vehicles and engines, as well as FVD/Brombacher that I think warrant your attention .

www.fabspeed.com
www.fvd.us
Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
ROW 7.8 DME programming passed Wisconsin's emission inspection.
Paul,
Did they plug your car into the state computer and pull codes? Or did they only make sure your check engine light functioned?
Old 09-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #9
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
They did all of the above.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Old 09-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #10
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I've found a complete stock Cayman S/987 S exhaust works great with a 3.6.

I have a used cat back B&B Cayman S system (Muffler, racing cat pipes and/or cat bypass pipes) that I will sell for half price. This can be used with the stock Cayman S headers/cats or a Cayman S aftermarket header.

http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/cayman/