Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 03:25 AM   #1

sluggish from start up any suggestions?

Hi Guys,

New to this great forum as a 1st time Boxster owner.

Would appreciate a little bit of help. I have a 2001 Boxster S, when i pull away from start in either A or M it seems really sluggish until it gets to about 5000rpm, not what i was expecting in terms of clout.

Additionally in M mode if i pull away in 1st once the rpm gets above 4500rpm the gear automatically shifts up to 2nd without me touching the triptronic buttons seems very starnge.

Any thoughts? thanks guys

NeilDubai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 04:01 AM   #2

don't really know what to say about the "sluggish" start. has it been this way since you got the car or developed recently?

as for the lower rpm shift from 1st to 2nd, that's normal. it doesn't get to the redline in 1st in automatic or manual modes...
Old 08-11-2011, 05:32 AM   #3

The Boxster ...

... even the "S" is not a muscle-car.
The Porsche boxer engines need to be revved high to get to the power band.
Above 4500 rpm is where you'll find it.
Happy Boxstering,
Pedro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeilDubai
Hi Guys,

New to this great forum as a 1st time Boxster owner.

Would appreciate a little bit of help. I have a 2001 Boxster S, when i pull away from start in either A or M it seems really sluggish until it gets to about 5000rpm, not what i was expecting in terms of clout.

Additionally in M mode if i pull away in 1st once the rpm gets above 4500rpm the gear automatically shifts up to 2nd without me touching the triptronic buttons seems very starnge.

Any thoughts? thanks guys
Old 08-11-2011, 06:52 PM   #4

I spend all my time between 6,000 and 10,000 feet which means I have about half the air that you do - and my 2001 is not at all what would be described as sluggish. I would check your car for an answer. Clean air filters, proper gasoline...
Old 08-12-2011, 06:42 AM   #5

in 'A' mode, it'll shoot up the gears and be in 5th gear around 30mph already. Handy for tootling around town but not much 'fun'. You'll have to be more aggressive on the accelerator to get it to keep in lower gears.

My Z4 used to pull away in 2nd too, seems quite common. Why even have a 1st gear then?

mrklaw is offline   Reply With Quote