Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 06:15 AM   #1

Rumble from front wheel under hard turning and braking

I hit a pot hole pretty hard last weekend and now have a rumble, similar to hitting a rumble stip. I only hear the noise while I'm braking hard and turning right. The noise is coming from the front left wheel. There is no vibration and the noise is not a hum like a wheel bearing, its a rumble. Any ideas? What else could it be besides a wheel bearing or a bent wheel? There is no play in the wheel.

truegearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:18 AM   #2
Rennzenn

Garage
The front strut bushings are a known wear item. When they start to go, you'll get a rumbling sound when you are turning the wheels at slow speeds, such as turning into a parking space or maneuvering in a tight area. The quick fix is a bit of spray lube in the bushing. The complete fix involves removing the strut and replacing the bushing.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #3

what he said.
did the same thing on the passenger side front and am rewarded with a 'groan' vibration at low speeds when turning the wheel.
suspension tech lifted that corner and turned the wheel with me holding my han on the spring....could feel the vibration in my hand. pretty cool!
part that took the impact of the pothole and gave up its job is called the upper strut plate bearing, about $38 for the part. replacing it is more involved and requires removal of the suspension on that corner.

matty-matt is offline   Reply With Quote