Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2011, 09:31 AM   #1

When/Why should you replace the spark plug tubes?

I was wondering what the determining factor is for replacing the spark plugs tubes. I am about to replace the spark plugs and was wondering if i should replace the tubes as well? Or if i should leave them. There appears to be no leaks on the ground under the motor, would i need to take the coils off to see if there is an oil leak?

What are the tell tale sign to look for to replace the tubes?

Also the Porsche dealer sold me the spark plugs and told me the gap should be correct and not to re-gap them. I asked them if they gapped them and they said they just come that way, and to not drop them and install them. Does this sound correct?

Thanks as always guys

funlovinguy24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #2

Yup, the plugs are pre-gapped.

I did mine last weekend and didn't change the tubes.
DFW02S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #3

If there is no seepage around the tubes then you're fine. If there is seepage you likley only need to replace the o-rings. A tube only needs to be replaces if it is cracked or damaged.

That said, I replaced all my tubes with my plugs when I first got the car. I didn't want to get into the job, find a cracked tube, and then have to wait for a replacement to arrive. I kept the good old tubes and so I will only order o-rings next time, and only if there is seepage.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Agree. Replace tube o-rings if seepage. Replace tubes only if cracked.

Always check gap on spark plugs. Its a 10-second job. When I last replaced my plugs, two of six needed regapping.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:22 PM   #5

I guess the important question, is what should the gap be? I guess this might depend on the brand of spark plug you are using.

Also isnt it a little late when you pull the plug and tube out, with seepage and realize you need a tube or rings to order? lol

What would be an appropriate number of tubes and rings to buy, i imagien you wouldnt need to buy all 6......

I noticed pelican sells 2 different brands of tubes, one is cheaper and comes with the o-rings(Febi), the other is more expensive, and without them Genuine Porsche)

Neither of them are listed as OEM parts. Any reccommendations or experience with either of these?
Old 08-04-2011, 06:35 AM   #6

Always check the gap! These plugs are pre-gapped, but pass through many hands before they're in your hands. These things are gapped to thousands of an inch, one clumsy guy on the UPS pkg. line and they need to be re-gapped. Cannot tell you the gap because you failed to identify the my/model of your car.

Plugs are the cheapest maintenance you can do to your car, so plan on swapping every two years. This also gives you the opprtunity to stay abreast of any leaky tube problems and ensures you won't have a plug sieze in the head.

Again, if your car is 10 y.o. or older, it may be wise to swap the o-rings now, otherwise on an as needed basis. It's a good idea to have some o-rings and maybe even some tubes on hand.

This isn't major surgery and so the 'while I'm in there' philosophy doesn't apply like it would for say RMS at clutch time.

Cheers!
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:45 AM   #7

I have a 1999 5 speed 2.5l boxster
Any idea what my gap should be?

I am debating how many tubes and rings to buy right now. It looks like pelican parts has 2 different tubes. One is cheaper and comes with the rings. The other is more expensive and doesnt come with the rings. Neither are porsche OEM equipment. ANy suggestions about either of these?