Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 06:22 PM   #1

Can't get my 986 to idle, starts up then stalls out.

I have a '99 boxster 2.5L, manual, 98,000 miles and after driving it home with no problems and parking it, now when I turn the key it cranks over like it's starting up but it will not idle and quickly dies. I can start it and feather the gas pedal to keep it running but it doesn't sound quite right and as soon as I let off the pedal it stalls. If I try restarting it again right after it stalls it then has a harder time starting and if I go for a third try after stalling out the second time it does nothing.

I hooked it up to an OBDII reader and it gives this error code "P0102 MAF or VAF A circuit low input". I looked around on the web and whenever I saw posts concerning the mass air flow sensor no one mentioned their cars not being able to idle... I did see that sometimes the MAF error code is generated when something else might be wrong.

Even though I read several posts where people drove around without the MAF sensor attached I still removed and visually inspected it (it wasn't even dusty).

Tomorrow I plan to check the idle control valve, if that isn't it then I have no idea what to try next. I am having a hard time finding anyone else that has posted a problem online like the one I have and I don't want to be buying unnecessary replacement parts "willy nilly" to get to what's wrong, any ideas or suggestions are appreciated.

ARTbyTROY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

I would look for a vacuum leak somewhere. May also be a failed fuel pump.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #3
Certified Boxster Addict

P0102 Mass Air Flow Sensor - Below Lower Limit

This error says that the voltage from the MAF is lower than the expected lower limit. This error can't be verified visually. The MAF may look fine but still not be operating correctly.

I'd go back and troubleshoot the MAF since that is the reported failure. Only chase down something else if the MAF turns out not to be the cause.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Just to be safe have someone with a PST-2 or Durametric check your cam timing.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:55 AM   #5

Wink

Check the idle control valve is not stuck in the closed position, if it is you will not be getting any air into the inlet manifold (other than crankcase breather) at idle, as soon as you open the throttle the butterfly valve is then open giving you the correct fuel air mixture.

Good luck

bugman is offline   Reply With Quote