Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2011, 05:40 AM   #1

fvd or softronic tuning?

now that the headers, exhaust and underdrive pulley have hoined the Evo intake on my 01 986S, i am ready to do software tuning.

i bought both fvd brombracher and softronic tuning while back and have opened neither package yet.

done a bit of research on them via their websites and searching and see that both tuners enjoy a positive reputation.

does anybody have experience with both and recommend one over the other?

is there really any difference between their product other than whatever proprietary tuning they do?

does anybody want to buy one of these from me to help me decide which to use?

thanks
matt

matty-matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:06 AM   #2

How much do you want for the softronic??
gikser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 09:10 AM   #3

not sure yet on either. taling with both companies to learn their differences and decide which to keep and which to sell.
will let you know as soon as i know more.
thanks
matt
Old 07-20-2011, 09:38 AM   #4

Ok then please let me know as soon as you decide which one you want to keep. Pm me a price and ill paypal immediately. Im interested in either one.
Old 07-20-2011, 11:36 AM   #5

Garage
I went with FVD/Brombacher's software. I was very impressed with the way they took into consideration all of the modifications that were performed on my vehicle, and wrote the program accordingly. Moreover, their dedication to custom service is unmatched; especially Rhonda and Florian .

JD
p.s. If you already have their ecu program, it might be worth contacting them to see if they'll update your software file in order to accommodate for the subsequent mods that you made to your vehicle .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 07-20-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 12:06 PM   #6

FVD Brombacher
2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 05:35 AM   #7

talked with Rhonda and Florian (i think) at FVD and Alice at Softronic yesterday finding out details on the two systems. still undecided on which way to go but will likely make a decision by the end of the week and offer one for sale.

both companies have been VERY helpful and friendly and genuinely concerned with assisting me even though they got my money a year and a half or more ago. that is so nice!

looks like the main difference is that the FVD requires all 4 oxygen sensors to be in the exhaust gas stream and the Softronic just requires 2 of them n the flow and 2 of them hooked up and functioning. does this sound accurate?
Old 07-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #8

Sounds like good customer support on both ends. As soon as youre ready let me know.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:07 AM   #9

yes, definitely good support from both, for certain.
just heard back from fvd that owner is willing to take tuning system cd & cable back for full credit on price i paid in november of 2009!
granted, i bought at half-price during their promotion, but that's still great by me.
unless someone wants to buy it from me (still unopened and unused) for more in cash monies i will use the credit to buy the ipd plenum and 75mm throttle body from fvd and then softronic to tune it.
pm me if you want to do so.
thanks
matt
Old 07-21-2011, 08:28 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by matty-matt
talked with Rhonda and Florian (i think) at FVD and Alice at Softronic yesterday finding out details on the two systems. still undecided on which way to go but will likely make a decision by the end of the week and offer one for sale.

both companies have been VERY helpful and friendly and genuinely concerned with assisting me even though they got my money a year and a half or more ago. that is so nice!

looks like the main difference is that the FVD requires all 4 oxygen sensors to be in the exhaust gas stream and the Softronic just requires 2 of them n the flow and 2 of them hooked up and functioning. does this sound accurate?
The number of sensors shouldn't be a concern if you are going to stay with the oem header/pre-cat set-up . With that said, back when I researched ecu programs, the main difference that I found between FVD and Softronic, is that FVD creates a software file that's specific to your vehicle's needs . Versus Softronic who more or less offered one generic program for the 986. While Softronic's approach may have since changed, that's how I remember it as being . Keep in mind, that there's almost a "black art" to ecu programming, wherein an experienced tech will know how to take into consideration the "mods" that you have performed to your vehicle, and safely alter the "tables" in order to extract maximum power and efficiency .
Old 07-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #11

the first set of sensors are designed to confirm air/fuel mixture in the exhaust and are necessary. the second set is post-catalyitcs and are designed to confirm if your cats are working. both tunings require that they be connected (or the engine will produce a 'check engine light'); softronic goes further and sets the computer to think that any signal from the sensor is a good signal so that it doesn't need to actually be placed in the exhaust flow.
The Radium King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 12:07 PM   #12

fvd's representative IT guy i talked with (Florian, i believe?) said on a NA car the difference is not much between different tuners as there is just not that much that can be done over the web without forced induction and additional fine adjustments.

softronic says their system can be updated and re-used free and can be transferred by owner to a new vehicle as long as the stock program is reloaded into the old vehicle.

since fvd is giving me credit for the software, i am returning it and using the credit on an ipd plenum and will tune with the softronic setup.

will post more when it is complete.

thanks
matt
Old 07-22-2011, 07:18 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty-matt
fvd's representative IT guy i talked with (Florian, i believe?) said on a NA car the difference is not much between different tuners as there is just not that much that can be done over the web without forced induction and additional fine adjustments.

softronic says their system can be updated and re-used free and can be transferred by owner to a new vehicle as long as the stock program is reloaded into the old vehicle.

since fvd is giving me credit for the software, i am returning it and using the credit on an ipd plenum and will tune with the softronic setup.

will post more when it is complete.

thanks
matt
Congratulations my friend. The ECU tune + IPD plenum coupled to a 75mm TB will absolutely rock your world. IPD/TB upgrade ranks amongst my top 5 favorite modifications. You are more than welcome to drive down to my neck of the woods and drive my vehicle to see for yourself. You will not be disappointed. My car is a monster!

All the best!
2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:46 AM   #14

that's great to hear! really looking forward to that and the row suspension next month....

but in the meantime.....loving the way the car sounds and drives now! as far as power and acceleration, the car will now overpower the rear tires a bit in first and second at full throttle, even with fresh supersticky 285's! that is new for sure.

it is noiser but it's not a commuter or daily driver so the added noise from headers and exhaust are welcome. i could see that it might get annoying on a long drive at the same rpm, thankfully i do my best to make sure that does not happen in this vehicle.

the underdrive pulley has definitely dropped the cabin engine noise noticeably and the short shifter is a joy to use and i've even started listening to the stereo again now that the sound is fuller and the ipod is shuffling through 9500ish songs.

so happy to have a new car!