Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2011, 09:17 AM   #1

Technical-Sounds asthmatic

Hi,
I am new to the forum, I bought my car used of course. When I pull up to the stop sign, sometimes it will kill. Also if she has to idle, I tease and say she has asthma.

I am not quite sure what the problems are according to the symptoms, but my guess is H2O sensor? Has anybody else heard of this? Have any ideas?

I look forward to getting to meet new people that share the same enthusiasm. I love driving her.

Also while I am here, does anybody know where I could get new sun visiors or cover for them? When I purchased mine the covers were missing.

I am sorry I should have properly introduced her. I have named her Black Beauty, she is a 98 Porsche Boxster with about 90K miles on her.

Thank you to anyone in advance that can assist me.

Lk Mtka MN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #2
Crazy Austrian

Garage
Hi congrats on you decision, you did not mention that you had any service done to the car. I would start with the simplest things first unless you have a check engine light with a code indicating the 02 sensors I would leave them alone. Your problem could be a number of things. Start by changing the air filter, do an oil change, change the fuel filter and the serpentine belt unless you have documentation that this was done recently. Also check all your vacuum lines on top (and under the intake) of the engine, some are tricky to find but if one is off you will get the stall sympton you mentioned. Good luck with the car.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:38 AM   #3

Welcome to the board! I'm glad to see another Minnesotan 986 owner! My boxster is named "The Stormtrooper" lol.
For visors, the best place (my opinion) to get oem parts is Suncoast parts, here is the link to the visors, 20$ each http://www.****************************************************.com/product/euromirrornon.html?Category_Code=986trimupgrades

And for the "asthma" is there any check engine light illuminated? I would start with replacing the air filter,and also look
For vacuum leaks.

If you ever need a hand workin on the 986 send me a pm, I live up in Maple grove.

Last edited by Penland; 07-13-2011 at 04:41 AM.
Penland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 06:39 PM   #4

Did it do this when you bought her? Is it the same gas that was in it when you bought her?Pour a bottle of Seafoam into the tank and fill her up. Run it through and see if it helps. That and the previously mentioned suggestions should help you find a solution. If not, get it to the dealership and have it serviced so you know where you stand with suggested maintenance - especially your 60,000 major which should have been done.
Old 07-24-2011, 04:03 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverSteve
Pour a bottle of Seafoam into the tank and fill her up. Run it through and see if it helps.

no...

as an aside, check the air intake for debris (maybe something got sucked in there and is blocking the flow through the filter. pull the filter and make sure it's not one of those "oil" types and replace/clean it. as harry said - start with the simpler things.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:30 AM   #6

Clean your MAF sensor!

SF-Rockster is offline   Reply With Quote