Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 05:01 AM   #1

1 series M coupe

have you guys checked out the specs of this car ? My wife wants to trade her 128i 6 speed and our evo x for one. this thing is a real drivers car. i can't wait to see one .

jacabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:44 AM   #2

I read on a BMW forum that these were selling for way over listed price. I heard as much as $20,000 over. You might want to wait a while. Of course this is Canada, the land of gouging the consumer.
brian325is is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:14 AM   #3

it is the same here also. i hear that it is limited production and they will only be made for 1 model year.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:15 AM   #4

Garage
I've owned both an E36 and E46 M3, as well as an E36 M Coupe and M Roadster, and I enjoyed them all . As far as the new 1-series M Coupe is concerned, I'm sure that it's a good performer, but it does nothing for me . Aesthetically speaking, it looks very "downstream" from the rest of other M cars . Keep your Evo X .

Last edited by Johnny Danger; 07-02-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Johnny Danger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:38 AM   #5

Garage
A short video review...

from one of my preferred magazines:

Link...
gthompson999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:40 AM   #6

Garage
The price is not going down after Jeremy Clarkson's sterling review of the 1M on the most recent episode of Top Gear. I have seen very few reviews that were as complimentary.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #7

after the initial release i am sure the prices will return to normal. my last bimmer was an E30 M3 . i like to drive the wifes 128i it is so smooth with good power and seems to fit like a glove.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:20 AM   #8

Looks like a fun car to drive but IMO it's got a less classy, too aggressive of a front end. I wish they can be more subtle about it since it's already got massive wheel fenders.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:20 AM   #9
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Jacabean's right. Unfortunately the 1M is only getting a one year production run because the plant where they're made is already running to capacity building all the other 1 series cars and they will not be able to maintain that and making the 1M.

I think it's great, seeing as it uses some good bits from the M3, and for the price you're getting as much if not more than the competition, like the Audi TT RS that runs for maybe a good $10k more. Along with putting down respectable power and torque, it's actually pretty fuel efficient for what it is. It's really unfortunate that there won't be more of them.

I'd also say what others have -- keep what you have for now rather than pay an unnecessary premium because the 1M is going to be hard to come by. I wouldn't be surprised if they don't manage to make 3000 of them before the run is up.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 11:36 AM   #10
Porscheectomy

The press seems to love it. More than the last couple of M3s in fact. I like to see the return to a more hard core sports car along the lines of the original M3, although the non-true-M engine does take a bit away from the mistique.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 12:48 PM   #11

I've driven one and wasn't as impressed as the press were. It's very quick and very slideable, which I guess is what they like. But the engine doesn't have the characteristics of an M engine and for my taste all the control weights were too light. I like my driver's cars more physical and with greater feedback.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great car, but in the modern turbo charged idiom. I'd rather have a Euro E36 M3 on quality coilovers.
Old 07-08-2011, 02:23 PM   #12

that is the one thing i dislike is that it does not have an "M" exclusive engine. my wife's 128i would easily beat an e30 m3 and probably be very close to an e36 m3 . The 135i is very quick so the 1m must be very good all around and i am a fan of the 1 series styling . I would prefer a Cayman R but this 1M is almost 20 grand cheaper but it's limited production will keep it's value high.