Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 11:41 AM   #1

advice on replacement hood

ok so a couple weeks ago i damaged my hood. only good nothing else. porsche dealer orders factory hood and after paint and install, the hood does not fit properly to my liking. the top of the hood where the hinges are, near the windshield and the front of the hood near the bumper are flushed with the body, BUT as you move towards the middle of the hood along each side it flares up about a few millimeters.

dealer said this is factory hood and that its the way replacements are made. is this acceptable?

thanks in advance

Attached Images

embryoguy@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 11:44 AM   #2

i made issue with my insurance company and they are making the dealer order a new hood. the dealer is convinced the hood will fit the exact same way. i guess will find out in about a week.

anyone else have this issue with a hood replacement?

its a 00 boxster
Old 06-22-2011, 11:50 AM   #3

could it be a simple latch adjustment to pull it down tighter?
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #4

they looked at the latch and hinges and both are locked in. there is really no adjustments. as mentioned, the ends of the hood are flushed with the body.
Old 06-22-2011, 01:09 PM   #5
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Maybe it's deformation from sitting in storage in some poorly thought out way. I doubt they move as many replacement hoods as they've made and they sit for long periods of time, and probably aren't stored the way they're supposed to be.

I also wonder if it will settle over some time, kind of like how a new convertible top will have to stretch out from its initial high tightness when new.

Let us know how things progress.

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 02:19 PM   #6

i think you might be right with storage. i do not think it ll settle though. when they get the second hood, hopefully i just got a flawed one. ill post than.