Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2011, 11:25 AM   #1
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
US spec M030 question

Hello, all. I was just wondering if anyone knows whether or not the M030 suspension off of a 2000 986S would have any issues being installed on a 1997 986? I'm just trying to see if there were any notable differences in design from 97 to 00 that would prevent me from using these components? Thanks!

1997 Arctic Silver Boxster, 5-spd
IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Overdrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overdrive
Hello, all. I was just wondering if anyone knows whether or not the M030 suspension off of a 2000 986S would have any issues being installed on a 1997 986? I'm just trying to see if there were any notable differences in design from 97 to 00 that would prevent me from using these components? Thanks!
The sway bars were different between the S and non-S. Stiffer front and less stiff rear on the S. Porsche fine-tuning that most people would probably never notice.

The standard set fits all years of 986, so there shouldn't be any fit issues between the 2000S and the 97base.

http://www.****************************************************.com/product/ROWKITS&Category_Code=986sus.html

Last edited by blue2000s; 06-14-2011 at 12:27 PM.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 01:03 PM   #3
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Thanks blue!

EDIT: Actually, is there a way of finding out if the car has it fitted already? I don't know how much truth there is to what I read, but the m030 was supposedly part of a sport package of some sort on the early models, maybe MY97 specifically, which included the 17 inch wheels. While I really don't see many Boxsters with 16s, it just got me wondering if those bits might already be there, and if there's a way to find out aside from someone who knows what they're looking for taking a look under the car?

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 06-14-2011 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:34 PM   #4
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Thanks blue!

EDIT: Actually, is there a way of finding out if the car has it fitted already? I don't know how much truth there is to what I read, but the m030 was supposedly part of a sport package of some sort on the early models, maybe MY97 specifically, which included the 17 inch wheels. While I really don't see many Boxsters with 16s, it just got me wondering if those bits might already be there, and if there's a way to find out aside from someone who knows what they're looking for taking a look under the car?
The options sticker on the inside of the hood should tell if it came with the M030. The list of options is on Renntech and out on the web somewhere.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:48 PM   #5
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Thanks again, maybe I'll get a surprise.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 06-14-2011, 09:01 PM   #6
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Well, found most of my codes online, and off the bat there was no 030 on my label, anyways. I guess that's a good thing, though, because I get to look forward to even better handling from an upgrade.

Hey, blue, that link you supplied was for a RoW M030 set, does anyone offer the US M030 for sale or is it only available secondhand? For that matter, is there a way to distinguish M030 components from stock suspension components by inspection?

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 06-15-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Well, found most of my codes online, and off the bat there was no 030 on my label, anyways. I guess that's a good thing, though, because I get to look forward to even better handling from an upgrade.

Hey, blue, that link you supplied was for a RoW M030 set, does anyone offer the US M030 for sale or is it only available secondhand? For that matter, is there a way to distinguish M030 components from stock suspension components by inspection?
I bet if you call Suncoast, they will have the parts of the US version. There are different color codes on the springs that indicate which springs they are:

http://www.cb-racing.com/boxster_030.html
Old 06-15-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Would you say it's likely to be less than the RoW in cost?

I'm all for the handling increase, but I kind of like having that extra bit of clearance of the stock height, and if I can get the handling without giving that up, why not?

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top
Old 06-15-2011, 12:23 PM   #9
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Called Suncoast, and since the US components are not sold as a set like the RoW, for them to piece it together would cost about $1500 vs. $1100 for the RoW...funny how that works. Good to know, though.

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top

Last edited by Overdrive; 06-15-2011 at 06:04 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 01:00 PM   #10
Porscheectomy

I LOVE the stance of the RoW. I've had it for almost the full 5 years that I've had my car. It really wasn't that much of a drop in reality, 3/8" in back and 3/4" in front, but it does make it look better. I can still go up the same driveways and still get my jack under the car. The only drawback (or benefit, depending on your desires) is the increased camber. It both improves handling and increases tire wear.

I'd do it again with the RoW, no regrets.
Old 06-15-2011, 06:14 PM   #11
Opposed to Subie Burble

Garage
Ok, blue, you seem to be helping me out quite a bit here, I've got one more for ya. I noticed on the CB-Racing link you provided that there are part distinctions between tiptronic and manual models. Any idea if there would be fitment issues for a tiptronic set on a 5 speed car?

IMSR + RMS
Robbins glass window top