Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #1

REVIEW: NHP exhaust from maxspeed-motorsports.com

Last edited by madmods; 08-24-2013 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Picture hosting changes - showing now
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #2
ddb
www.klisstle.com

Garage
Nice car madmods!

I too have a NHP system and am happy with it.

I can't see your attached pictures.
ddb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 10:22 AM   #3

Last edited by madmods; 08-24-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:41 AM   #4

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
i haven't gone full system yet, but i love my NHP muffler...

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:38 PM   #5

Hello Mad,
I looked at the pics, and videos of this exhaust, and am intrigued. Looks like very nice stuff...
Some of what I have read is that changing the exhaust system does very close to nothing (save, perhaps, a more cool sound). In other words, no "bang for the buck."
The Fabspeed video posits that Porsche intentionally throttles down the Boxster exhaust, so that these vehicles don't "compete" with their more expensive models.

Q: Did you find that installing the NHP made a big difference, and would you do it again?
Q: Have you done any other mods (intake, or other) that also improved your engine's performance?
Thank you,
Ricky663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #6

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky663
Hello Mad,
I looked at the pics, and videos of this exhaust, and am intrigued. Looks like very nice stuff...
Some of what I have read is that changing the exhaust system does very close to nothing (save, perhaps, a more cool sound). In other words, no "bang for the buck."
The Fabspeed video posits that Porsche intentionally throttles down the Boxster exhaust, so that these vehicles don't "compete" with their more expensive models.

Q: Did you find that installing the NHP made a big difference, and would you do it again?
Q: Have you done any other mods (intake, or other) that also improved your engine's performance?
Thank you,
Upgrading just the cat back provides relatively small gains in hp (much better sound though) However, a thorough and methodical approach to upgrading the entire system, can produce considerable gains in hp and performance . The key words are "thorough" and "methodical" .
Old 06-08-2011, 05:59 PM   #7
Carnut

+1 for Maxspeed. Good company to work with.
Old 06-09-2011, 03:55 AM   #8

Last edited by madmods; 08-24-2013 at 06:16 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger
Upgrading just the cat back provides relatively small gains in hp (much better sound though) However, a thorough and methodical approach to upgrading the entire system, can produce considerable gains in hp and performance . The key words are "thorough" and "methodical" .
Hi Johnny, did you upgrade your entire exhaust with NHP or ?
If so, did you experience a good gain in HP/performance? Happy with the experience?

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this, and appreciate your input. Thank you,
Ricky663 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 03:22 PM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky663
Hi Johnny, did you upgrade your entire exhaust with NHP or ?
If so, did you experience a good gain in HP/performance? Happy with the experience?

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this, and appreciate your input. Thank you,

My exhaust is not from NHP. Sorry if I confused you . My comment was meant to be taken in general terms .
Old 06-09-2011, 06:04 PM   #11

Nello at Maxspeed was also great to me and I love my exhaust!
  • Cross Drilled-Slotted Rotors, Pagid pads
  • 19" Wheels, Bridgestone Pole Position ll Tires
  • Maxspeed Motorsport's Headers and Muffler
  • EVO Intake
  • Short Shift Kit
  • Vosstek Alluminum Pedals
  • Stainless Steel Gauge Rings
  • LLoyd Mats
  • Stainless Door Sills
  • Schnell Front and Rear Strut Bars
  • 2003 Tail Lights ,Sidemarkers and Headlights
  • Silver Hood Badge
  • Silver Horn Badge
  • 986 Trunk Emblem
rule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:57 AM   #12

I've had the NHP Sport 2 Muffler on for almost two weeks now. I find the sound to be just right ... not too loud and not stock. When the pedal is pressed a bit harder than normal it does give a nice growl that does indicated there are some serious horses at play.

I think once I was a little annoyed at the sound, but I had had a bad day at work and was a bit tired. My shop has commented on the sound as well as the bit better performance from the car. They noticed a difference. I did as well. I am more than happy with it and will keep it!! The growl is just a bit less than what the 911 GT3's sound like at the track ... it's not the usual loud roar ... more of a warning growl (gotta dog) that says it's moving.

The mods I have done are Desnorkle with the intake portion partially trimmed by the wrench. He smoothed the incomming airflow by trimming plastic off the input to the airbox. He had also removed the resonator on the intake and fitted a plastic piece with epoxy to give it a smooth passage. This was done as my engine was being rebuilt (PO has put in 4 extra litres of oil) and I bought it at a good price. My friend owns an Indy P-Car shop.

My overall take on these mods with the Sprintbooster installed has made my driving this Beepster a treat. I came from a 1986 951 that was wickedly fast (GT3 race car drivers opinion; 3 of them) and this car makes up for it. I'm not too keen on the colour as well as it being a tip, but the condition and price make up for these short comings. The car is a treat to drive ... sounds a bit more "growly" and makes me happy (as well as the ladies I take out for a spin).

2010 Ford F150 FX4 Luxury

Retired after 38 years with the same company.
Jaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #13

Garage
I have an NHP sport header (no cat) NHP Mid-pipe with cats. NHP sport muffler. Dyno scan software on a performance run before and after installation showed a 15HP change. Two weeks later I added a Cold air intake system This scanned out to another 10 Hp, from the average of the original three runs. Or 24 to25 HP over all. The last bit was a IPD Plenum and 74MM Throttle body and again. It increased the output by 10 HP. The down side was my fuel economy suffered about 2MPG. Either I was on it more or the air and exhaust flow was off. I had Fab Speed flash my chip to see if this could be fixed. It made the Throttle response better I got back maybe 1.5 of the lost MPG and 6 HP. The overall package has my power up by 41 hp +/- 1. It was probably an expensive 41 hp @ $100 each. But when the kid in an EVO come up beside you at a light start reving his engine and you launch it and it pulls you back into the seat as he disapears in the morrors it is worth every cent
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust

Last edited by jsceash; 08-30-2011 at 06:18 PM.
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:37 AM   #14
midlifechrisis

Price break:; on sale + discount this month on this system

I just ordered the system today- they are running a Dec 15% off this week, and i found another coupon code that added another 10% off-
6speedx51 - put this in the coupon code location-

The total of the whole system- sport cat headers, mid pipes without secondary headers, u-bends and the muffler system for $2267.00, -thats $470 off regular price.

thought someone else might be interesed

also- thanks for the post and info. really wanted to know how others liked the performance and sound of this system, i was comparing to Borla, decided on this-
My 2000s had all original stuff and just replaced the 02 on bank 1, it was fused into place, the threads came out with it,so i was going to have to replace it anyway!..

phil
Drphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drphil View Post
I just ordered the system today- they are running a Dec 15% off this week, and i found another coupon code that added another 10% off-
6speedx51 - put this in the coupon code location-

The total of the whole system- sport cat headers, mid pipes without secondary headers, u-bends and the muffler system for $2267.00, -thats $470 off regular price.

thought someone else might be interesed

also- thanks for the post and info. really wanted to know how others liked the performance and sound of this system, i was comparing to Borla, decided on this-
My 2000s had all original stuff and just replaced the 02 on bank 1, it was fused into place, the threads came out with it,so i was going to have to replace it anyway!..

phil
It says on their site right underneath the discount description that the 15% discount cannot be used in conjunction with any other coupon/discount. Having said that, I went to the site and entered it in myself and it seems to work (25% off total) but you may run the risk of them making the adjustement manually before shipping.
coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #16

Yep sure enough; today I got another invoice for the amount discounted from the additional coupon used. Save yourself a headache and read the terms on the first page unlike myself

coolbreeze551 is offline   Reply With Quote