Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2011, 07:33 AM   #1

Electrical problem

Any ideas on why my 99 Boxter intermittently loses both the radio and heater blower fan? Usually this happens after first starting. After running for about 10 or so minutes both start working again. In one case the radio which was working just slowly faded out while I was driving. The display went blank and the volume slowly decreased then went dead.

Up until last year this car had zero problems. Then about 6 months ago without warning the engine seized and had to be replaced. My local mechanic installed a used 98 engine with less miles (~55,000) and it now runs perfectly again except for the electrical problem (unrelated??). Incidently, I also installed the drive shaft fix though I don't believe that was the cause of the engine failure.

mrw02536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #2

You might want to check your fuses, maybe something is loose.

Ignition switch is also a common failure that can result in electrical gremlins. Search this forum for more info. It's an inexpensive part from a VW dealer, so best to rule that out before digging in deeper.

'01 Boxster S, 51k miles
'05 Mazda 6 Grand Touring Wagon

Last edited by yimmy149; 05-09-2011 at 09:11 AM.
yimmy149 is offline   Reply With Quote