Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2011, 05:43 AM   #1

Brakes-questions...

Hi all,

my brake light came on the otherday at the track, after inspecting all the pads, I have decided to replace them all. I ordered EBC yellow stuff.

I want to know weither it is nessasary to change the anti-squel dampers/anti-vibration dampers for the front/rear??

secondly, is there a minimium tolerance for the disc thickness for the front and rear-if so what is it so that I can check it? And if the disc is within tolerance, should I have it skimmed?

thanks,
Robert

de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Porscheectomy

EBC supplys anti-sqeal pads with the brake pads.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Track rat

Garage
Minimum rotor spec varies by year and model. It is often stamped on the rotor hat. This is a useful resource:http://www.********************************************************************************************/mmp/porsche~boxster~brake_rotor~parts.html
Old 03-30-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Best practice is to have the rotors turned (skimmed) anytime that you replace the pads (as long as the rotors are within the spec thickness and runout, of course).

I always replace the rotors anytime that I replace the pads, but I'm a bit of a brake fanatic and don't mind the extra cost.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 03-30-2011 at 03:45 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickbananas
Hi all,

my brake light came on the otherday at the track, after inspecting all the pads, I have decided to replace them all. I ordered EBC yellow stuff.

I want to know weither it is nessasary to change the anti-squel dampers/anti-vibration dampers for the front/rear??

secondly, is there a minimium tolerance for the disc thickness for the front and rear-if so what is it so that I can check it? And if the disc is within tolerance, should I have it skimmed?

thanks,
Robert

If you have a non-S and it is within tolerance I would have the rotors cut/machined and get new pads.

If you own a S and have crossed drilled it's time for new rotors and pads.
I put Hawk Street performance pads on cutomer's cars all th etime and they seem to love it.

For the weekend warriors I suggest upgrading to hawk track pads.

love'em!
AutoAtlanta is offline   Reply With Quote