Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2011, 01:58 PM   #1

Boxster subwoofer!

Well im taking the plunge...i think. I have aftermarket seats that allow a lot of space for a low profile subwoofer to fit. My question is this:

My '97 came with the 6 cd changer and has the under-hood amp...can i use the stock amplifier to power a 8" or 10" sub? If so, how? I don't look to rattle the car, i just need some more crisp lows.

anti-bling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 02:17 PM   #2

Yes, possible but remember the OEM amplifier in the '97 was only a 4ch x 40W per channel amp. So needless to say, it's not gonna have a whole lot of extra power available for an 8 or 10" sub. So, it will probably be much easier instead to get a self powered sub and use the unused 18W amplified outputs from the headunit for the sub's signal. You may have to add a line-level converter if the self powered sub doesn't have one built in though.

Or you could look for a 6x40 amp (from a later Boxster or 996) and then use the empty channels to drive the sub but most people who have one of those use it to drive rear shelf speakers.

Another thing to consider if you haven't done so already is to upgrade the door speakers which are (using the term loosely) the woofers in the Boxster's sound stage. Very loosely as they are just 5.25" drivers (which w/o a ton of power can't produce squat) in tuned ports. You can fit 6.75" drivers or 6x9 drivers in the space provided by making custom mounts and losing the tuned ports.

Just some things to consider and do a search as there's lots of great info regarding this topic here as it's been discussed (and overhauled) many times.

Good luck

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 03-25-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:29 PM   #3

Well, I got a great deal today on a 12" audio bahn, subwoofer, and an older Sony xm-10020 2x100 amp...I hooked up everything and it works--but it plays everything--mids lows highs vocals, etc. What do I do in order for it to filter to play just bass? There are no adjustments on the amp itself but the level...and it just adjusts the volume. I'm obviously not very experienced with auto audio...but it seemed straight forward (guess not). Please, anyone help!!!????
Old 03-28-2011, 01:58 AM   #4

add a crossover . . .
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 08:45 PM   #5

Amp should have low pass/high pass filter switch. You want to cut off the signals at around the 80-100 hz range for the sub.
blackadder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:34 PM   #6

Just curious, where did you manage to fit a 12" sub into a boxster?
GTA_G20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 04:04 PM   #7

well...i tried it in the (front) trunk. Sounded really "ghetto" for lack of a better term. I have since removed it and managed to put 2 8" speakers behind the seat.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:38 PM   #8

Garage
Pictures are necessary
we r pictures wh@res.
Pics please
Chris