Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2005, 08:24 PM   #1

Child seat question?

Hi everyone,
Does any one have a child seat in a 99 Boxster? If so, when the car seat is plugged in and the car is driven, does the airbag light stay on or should it go off as it states in the manual? We just had a car seat programmed at an independent shop and the following happens: the light flashes for a few seconds, then while driving, the light stays on. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. By the way, thanks to all who use this site, I've found lots of useful information!

oceanwoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 08:53 PM   #2

I have a 98 Boxster with a child seat installed and I had the exact same problem. The normal response when the child seat is belted in, is for the airbag light to flash for awhile and then go back out as you stated. Initially when I attached the child seat, the airbag light flashed and went out but somewhere along on a drive the airbag light would come on and stay on. I went to dealer to check what caused the fault and in my case, the driver side belt buckle triggered the airbag fault. The dealer cleared the alarm and the fault kept returning caused by the driver side buckle. The belt buckle was replaced the problem went away. The belt buckle is about $80. In my case, the dealer got a little sloppy when they wired up the deactivation bar and I argued that since the Boxster wiring is a little on the flaky side, they should have been a little neater on the deactivation bar install. The dealer agreed and waved the labor charge (1hr - $100) for the belt buckle. So far, the fix has worked (~2 months.) I still watch it carefully because there is a TSB for fixing false airbag alarms that requires replacing tin connectors with gold plated connectors as well as the belt buckles and it's rather pricy for the dealer to do it - ~$560.00. In the early days, it was covered by warranty but no longer unless you find a dealer with a big heart.

98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote