Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2011, 05:24 PM   #1
s86

Question Key Programming

My key "remote" function is no longer working - it has a new battery and the LED light is working for all three functions (door, front and back trunk) but there is no connection to the car. Does it need to be reprogrammed by a dealer? Any help, suggestions with this would be most appreciated!

s86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 05:50 PM   #2

Unless you have the tag that came with the key originally, there is no way to reprogram it. I had the same thing happen to a new key that I bought to use as a spare. Never used it for about two years, then when I started to use it, it quit working after about a month. LED's still work, same as yours. The stealership said there was nothing they could do since it was out of warrantee. I would have to buy a new key for another $250.00 US.
Now both of my keys don't work the alarm remotely. I just lock and unlock manually now because I'm not going to spend $500 just to get two keys that work.
If you decide to buy a new key, insist that they give you the tag that comes with the key with the code number on it. Then you can reprogram it in the future if it loses the programming again. That was the mistake I made when I bought my new key. They may insist that they remove/destroy the tag for "security" reasons. If that is the case, ask them if they want the sale or you will take your business elsewhere. You can drive down to Bellingham and get one there.

Last edited by Spinnaker; 01-21-2011 at 06:19 PM.
Spinnaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:02 PM   #3

Garage
Did you by chance not use it for 5 days or more?
nieuwhzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 07:29 PM   #4
s86

Thanks very much for your input spinnaker, I do have a code, I'm hoping it is the right one but when I called the dealer they wanted $150 for reprogramming and another $250 if I need to buy a new key - like you, I have been living with just opening with the key but it is not nearly as convenient! Just hate to pay $ 400+ for a new key, hoping there is a way around this!!!
s86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #5

WHat is the cheapest way to get a spare Basic Valet Key made?

Is there any online places that can make one? Pelican parts etc.....??
dirkdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 05:03 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nieuwhzn
Did you by chance not use it for 5 days or more?
Yes, I am aware of the 5 day automatic alarm shutdown feature. Doesn't apply when you just get out of the car and try to lock the doors and set the alarm.
Old 01-22-2011, 05:26 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkdiggler
WHat is the cheapest way to get a spare Basic Valet Key made?

Is there any online places that can make one? Pelican parts etc.....??
According to this post on the forum, you can get a cloned key made at a locksmith.
They make a copy of the transponder code in the pill for the ignition interlock.
http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21726
Old 01-22-2011, 10:44 AM   #8

Can lock smith really do this? anyone that has had it done???
dirkdiggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:44 PM   #9

aftermarket alarm

I'm having the same problem. I'm thinking whether it is possible to just get an aftermarket alarm put on that what would open and close the car remote? Any idea whether this would work?
19" MHT Rims
Evo Intake, De-Snorkeled
CVstarBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #10

Aftermarket alarm would need to be hard wired I'm sure. The manual key lock mechanism is also electronic so you'll need to find a good tech to do a reliable job on that one mate - can't be easy. Cheaper/safer to get a new key programmed imo.

There are porsche experts operating privately everywhere and with all kind of testers. Mine here just ordered the key off ebay (the one w/ barcode!) and programmed it using his little T30 IBM, a aftermarket green piwis tester, and we were so done with it. Not sure how much total the wife took care of this but it wasn't more than $160 or less maybe.
madmods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #11

First off, it's not a "standard" key so it's unlikely that a locksmith will have one. If it was readily available, it wouldn't cost $200. These are Porsches. They cost a lot to have work done. People shouldn't buy one if they aren't ready to pay the piper for the parts/maintenance. That said, I bought a new key from the dealer because one of my fobs won't work and it's $350 programmed. I went to pick up the car and they couldn't program the new key (they supplied) with the code Atlanta gave them. They got another code from Stuttgart and it still wouldn't program. Now they're trying to get another option from Germany to program the factory key.............

I have the factory valet and both fobs and I want a new one that works properly and likely will for another 10 years (or however much longer I own the car). It's worth the money to have it done correctly once every decade or so.

Last edited by DenverSteve; 08-11-2011 at 05:42 PM.
DenverSteve is offline   Reply With Quote