Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 09:49 AM   #1

Original Porsche or Bosch Maf

Found this info regarding maf sensors on another forum:
http://www.piperboxster.com/maf.htm
Stating that Porsche maf is not the same as the maf you buy in a Bosch branded box, different quality levels.
As the part number is the same can there really be any difference.
Any one experienced problems whith a Bosch maf bought outside Porsche?

spongebob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 11:42 AM   #2

I'm always suspicious

of a reason given by someone who has a financial interest in you buying something from them.

I've been publishing the Bosch equivalent numbers on the web for years and, other than this one one "he said" claim, never heard of anyone having a bad experience with the Bosch part.

It doesn't have the Porsche part # spray painted on, isn't in a Porsche labeled box and isn't marked up. I can do without all three.

Would Bosch sell a substandard part thus risking their reputation? That doesn't ring true to me.

I've know many MAFs which lasted 100k or longer, some much longer which disagrees with another of his claims. If the air cleaner is not oiled and is kept changed so the MAF doesn't get dirty...

UK owners seem to have a different relationship to their OPC than US owners do with their dealers. Different warranty schemes too.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #3

bosch is fine, infact it's as good as plus it's usually cheaper! my coil packs would have been £30+(40 euros) more if i'd have bought beru. That's a good few drinks down the local
jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 12:00 PM   #4

One and the same to be quite honest

As someone that resells both Genuine and OEM parts, we usually offer an OEM version whenever possible. Porsche makes great cars but they don't make every single nut and bolt on the car. Just like the headlights are actually Bosch, the side markers are Hella, the Oil Filter is Hengst, the MAF are made by Bosch (OEM)...the list goes on, when you are buying items that are OEM but not Genuine, it is generally considered equivalents just without the repackaging into Porsche boxes.

What you do have to be careful about is whether it really is a Bosch component...sadly there are Chinese knockoffs out there that have identical packaging as the Bosch boxes.

trieullionaire is offline   Reply With Quote