Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #1

Tiptronic Problem '02 Boxster

Hello fellow Boxster owners,

I recently purchased a arctic silver 2002 Boxster (non S) with 120K miles on it for $6k. The previous owner told me that he replaced the transmission at 90K in 2007 and also provided receipts to back his claim..$5300 job. On the test drive I noticed at low speed it has a faint "loose change" sound coming from under the car that goes away at higher speeds. I figured the cats would need replacing soon and I didn't notice anything else. The car runs so smooth, shifts smooth, sounds great, looks great so I purchased it from him.

After a month of driving around town the check engine light came on probably due to cats going bad so I didn't worry to much about that and kept driving. A few weeks after that I couldn't go into "M" mode and it locked out the tip completely and would only work in auto mode with "4, D" flashing back an fourth. So I go grab the manual and read that the transmission is in some kind of safety mode. The car drives fine in auto, so I drove to a local shop I know that works on foreign auto and made an appointment.

I still drove around town in "safety" mode for a few days then started to get scared that I might be messing up the trans even more so parked it until I took it back the shop. It's been to nice out here in CA to not drive my convertible so I started driving again then the strangest thing happened....the Tip started working again.

Has anyone experienced anything like this.. I go into the shop Thursday and the mechanic seen the 4,D flashing.

Thanks

mike123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #2

Have them inspect the cable and make sure it hasn't stretched.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 04:25 AM   #3

Also have the electronic cable check where the two plug together at the TIP.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 10:15 AM   #4

Thanks..will do

I've also noticed a burning smell, like plastic burning after short drives coming from the passenger side air duct. Car drives fine still.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike123
Thanks..will do

I've also noticed a burning smell, like plastic burning after short drives coming from the passenger side air duct. Car drives fine still.
The Tip right side is also the final drive side. This side will develop a leak at axle thus differential oil will be slung around and onto the exhaust. Mine is doing that right now and I have an Indy who is going to replace it for $250 plus parts. I thought it was a plastic smell at first. But hypo oil has a strange smell when it burns. So, check as see if you have a leak on either side where the axle comes out of the TIP.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 02:07 PM   #6

WOW!! Thanks for the info... I looked under the car the other day after I pulled it out of the car port and noticed some black drips on the ground. I hope I can get away with that same $250 price plus parts but I doubt it.

Thanks for all the info jcb it will surely help for when I take it in for it's maintenance.