Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2010, 10:27 AM   #1

valve cover gasket replacement

Anyone done this?

I have a Bentley manual and the tools for it, so I don't need a tutorial. I just want someone to tell me what I might encounter when I get into the thick of it... you know, the stuff that Bentley doesn't take pictures of and put in their thick book.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 11-30-2010 at 10:31 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #2

Garage
This is a very difficult procedure to do with the engine in the car & I would not attempt it unless it leaks alot. The engine must be secured @ TDC & the cams locked to the head before removing the cam cover. Sealing surfaces must be spotless & sanitary before appling sealant. Excess sealant can block oil passages. Mark oilpump to ensure it is reassembled in the same position, that's the only way it works. Most likely your cam tensioner wear pads need to be replaced so it would be good to do that while the cover is off but this requires removing the cams & retiming the cams during reassembly. :dance:
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 02:14 PM   #3

Go far it Randall...if you screw up the first time you'll get right the second time. Be sure to document the procedure with pictures for the Forum.

Old Hippie Young Heart
2000 S/3.2 Liter/Tiptronic/Boxster S Sport Package/Cruise Control/Slate Grey Metallic
Red Special Leather Interior/Red Floor Mats/Red Hand Painted Instrument Dials/Roll Bar/Windstop
Small Carbon Package/Leather Wrap Carbon Wheel/Center Console Exterior Color/Alum Carbon Shift Knob
AM/FM Radio w/CD Player & Changer/Digital Sound Package/18" Turbo Wheels/Wheel Caps w/Colored Crest
jcb986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 07:21 AM   #4

Byprodriver, may I have another answer? Possibly one that reads:

"This is a piece of cake. Remove the rear driver's wheel. Unscrew the cover, replace the gasket, and pop it back on."

Me thinks I will simply clean it really well before the next tech inspection for a DE instead of going through all this. It used to drip once in a great while and no longer drips at all. I think I shall let sleeping dogs remain asleep.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:05 PM   #5

Garage
Good call, there is no gasket other than the sealant you squeeze out 1.5mm wide & hope it doesn't clog a oil passage but prevent oil leaks. The only thing easy to do is have it leak more after the "fix".
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:16 PM   #6

ya know how you always wanted to put hipo cams in the car ? well......good excuse now
extanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #7

Randall - are you sure its the cambox cover leaking?
I thought mine was untill I really cleaned off all the oil resedue and realised it was 2 spark plug tubes leaking. Replaced all 6 tube O rings (2 per tube) and bingo - no oil leak.
Its a lot easier than removing the 237 bolts (?) and getting the cambox cover off, cleaning the mating surfaces and then putting the cover back on again.....
Old 12-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #8

It's not fun but certainly doable.....
Old 12-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lofreoiuoiuwerw View Post
Thank you for****good****communication.
thank you for searching