Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2010, 01:47 AM   #1

oil change question

Hi guys,

I track my 2000 S. I am changing my oil, oil filter and fitting my LN engineering deep sump kit this weekend. As I am in South Africa the only two oils that I can get is Mobil1 0w-40 and Castrol Syntec 5w-40. My car has been on Mobil1 since new. My question is do I do a flush my engine with Valvoline as Jake Raby recommends and change to the Castol, or shall I just stick to the Mobil1?

thanks in advance,
Robert.

de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:53 AM   #2
JTP

The general consensus amongst the forum is to ditch the Mobil 1 and go with the 5W40, especially if you track the car. When I changed oil brands from Mobil 1 to Motul 5W40 there was a noticeable difference.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #3

Being somewhat of a perfectionist, I'm doing the flush as Jake recommended as I change from M1 0W-40 to the Castrol Syntec. Especially as the car will be sitting for some time. I drained the M1 yesterday, in the process ruining my drain plug.

So the Valvoline flush and Castrol fill will be done next week after Charles gets me my new LN Eng magnetic drain plug. With the hard surfacing and 10mm internal hex, this one should last as long as I have the car, as well as give me some indication of internal wear.

I wanted to go to the Castrol Syntec 10W-40, but like you, I can only get 5W-40. With thanks to JFP in PA, he tells me it's also a good oil, just isn't as good as the 10W-40 in its ability to "stay in grade" under high shear/heat conditions. We'll just need to change it sooner, about every 5,000 miles (8,000 km).
Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTP
When I changed oil brands from Mobil 1 to Motul 5W40 there was a noticeable difference.
What difference did you notice?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:50 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
Yeah I was wondering that too? Was the motor more quite?
Caractere kit seam sealed, Caractere rear wing, 1 3/4" drop on coilovers, 235/40/18 Kuhmo XS on 18x8 Millie Miglia Spider II's, H2sport spindles, H&R front Sway bar, O-bar rear torsion, VF Eng. motor mounts, G60 12# flywheel, Nuespeed P-flow intake, Forge DV, Samco IP, Custom K04 turbo and Upsolute chip, 4 bar fpr, TT 2 1/2" SS DP, 2 1/2" custom stainless exhaust no muffler, Peleguin LSD, B&M SS, Momo 14" wheel, R32 steering rack.
yelojkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #6
JTP

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman
It's possible I'm imagining it but the engine seems to run quieter, smoother with less vibration at higher RPM. Car just feels healthier. I haven't noticed any difference in MPG.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 11:51 AM   #7

I have the motul 5w40 as well. I noticed less valve train noise, clicking that we get on start-up...what I believe to be lifter noise. This is after I put in my by-pass exhaust to be objective but I just don't seem to hear those ticking sound signatures that were there before. I find this interesting in that I have heard that 0w40 was in there to mitigate valve train noise on start-up
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:48 PM   #8
Track rat

Garage
Agreed. I have run Castrol 5w40 over the last year and notice less valve train/chain noise on startup. No other changes or indications I am aware of. I change oil typically 2x yr between 3-4k miles since I have been running Time Trials. If the oil ever darkens or gets an odor I dump it right away.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #9
Pat

This reminds me...my car seems to have quite a bit of chatter/rattle the first few seconds it starts up when the weather is cold (<40F). Anyone else notice this?
Old 11-14-2010, 02:17 PM   #10

My '98 has that rattle clatter on start up most of the time. I find if I turn on the key then turn off the A/C-Heater ( since it is always on when the key is turned on) then start the engine, I don't get that rattle clatter so much. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Is there a conection or is it just coincidence ?

Also, I've been using M1 10/30. I'm thinking of going to 10/40. Thoughts ?
Idaho Red Rocket 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:31 PM   #11

If you log onto www.lnengineering.com website and check their advice re oils, a W30 grade oil is just too thin for the M96 engine. The Porsche list of approved oil manufacturers / grades also recommend just about all the weights to be 0W40 or 5W40 grade oils.
Some people living in hot climates go for 15W50 grade oil. I tried that option but went back to 5W40 Shell Hellix as on the thicker oil I seemed to to lose engine performance.......