Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2010, 10:35 AM   #1

Belt Tensioner question

So, I've finally gotten around to installing my new underdrive pulley I purchased from Jake Raby. This may sound like a silly question but, I can't seem to get the belt tensioner to do anything. I went at it a 24mm socket and rachet but the tensioner bolt just spins. No pivoting at all. Tried to lever it over to see how it moved bit could not budge it. I've triple checked the DYIs for this and no one mentions anything other than use 24mm socket to remove old belt.

What am I missing here?

Old 10-06-2010, 04:18 PM   #2

Ok, problem solved. The nut behind the tensioner pulley was spinning. I was able to just barely get an open end wrench (14mm I think) in there and hold the nut. After about 1/4 turn the nut snugged and the tensioner pulley pivoted, no problem. Getting the drive pulley bolt off, no problem. Cutting the boss off, not problem with Saw-zall and new metal blade. Putting on new underdrive pulley, no problem. Getting new belt back on, PROBLEM! The new belt is tight! Took 2 people a lot of pulling, prying and cussing but it finally went on. Checked, started, checked, then took for a spin. I can immediately feel a difference in the acceleration. Seems to wind up quicker than before. Two big, slightly skinned and bloody, thumbs up!
Old 10-06-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Carnut

One of my next mods for sure!