Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2005, 07:50 PM   #1

Is this heresy?

My wife just bought a new BMW 545i, sport option, auto. I was set on the SMG box, but when I drove the auto and experienced the steptronic six speed box, I was blown away.

We have this 2 mile road linking the higway to our house. It has 12 turns and is posted 35mph. I followed my wife home and she was taking the corners at 60mph! My Boxster felt as if it was being stretched to keep up. I couldn't believe it so I took it for a spin. True enough, this BMW is a beast. It freely revs to the red line like a motorbike, the active suspension cancels roll in the corners, and the brakes are ridiculous.....the negative G's bulge your eyes out their sockets. You have no concept of the speed you are carrying mid corner, and especially no concept of the bulk you must be hustling round the bend.

I used to own an M3 and switched to a Boxster because they handled better on the track...and I have been more than happy with the decision.

In comparison, the Boxster is a livelier drive than the 545i, but I take my hat off to the BMW engineers for having created such an amazing drive. And to think, we are still to experience the M5! The only saving grace is Beemer chews far more gas delivering thrills than my Boxster (we will ignore the fact that it can transport my family of 5 in comfort, has an outstanding sound system that doesn't have to compete with the elements, and the V8 roar above 5000rpm can seduce Elle Macpherson).

Anyone else care to share an infidelity?

Old 05-03-2005, 11:49 PM   #2
Crazed P-Car enthusiast

Does the top go down?...and what would you rather hear behind you: the yackitty yack of passengers who are likely making you go out of your way to drop them off 'cuz there's room in the car, or the sound of the Boxster engine...behind you...where it belongs.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:50 AM   #3

Just two weeks ago I made a formal announcement to the wife that our next sedan would replace both non-Porsche cars we currently own (a honda accord and a Lexus LS400) and we'd be buying a pre-owned 545i, automatic.

Having a boxster and a 545i is just about the best of both worlds! Tell your wife she has great taste in cars—my wife wants another stinking honda accord, but that's just not gonna happen.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 10:20 AM   #4

wait until you drive the Cayman..

an even longer wait yet worthwhile will be the $135,000 Porsche Sedan.
Just imagine GT3 with four doors.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 12:04 PM   #5

Is this heresy?

Yes.
Bushwhacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2005, 03:01 PM   #6

Randallneighbor - I too was shopping for a used 545i but soon found that I would have to take too high a mileage penalty to justify the difference in price vs. new. I ended up paying 60k for a new car after a dealer discount whereas the same optioned used with +/- 5000 miles are in the range of 56k. That new car smell (not to mention the certainty of it being untouched by another heavy foot) was definitely worth the extra 4k.

And as for the back seat passengers, they are a rarity as my wife drives it to work and I get to lug the kids around in a '91 Merc wagon I did try to convince her to buy a Cayenne S, but having driven both (not the Turbo though), I am actually secretly pleased she is such an avid BMW fanatic.

ps A tip for keeping the passengers from bickering when you have to have them - gravity and fear. Serious cornering G's and some late breaking do wonders for quitening down the rabble
Old 05-04-2005, 03:55 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to YellowJacket
Nothing wrong with showing a little love to another impressive European brand. In my short 7 years of driving, I have owned several BMW's, a VW, and now Porsche, and several of my friends drive MBs and Audis, and I would say they all have their positive points. I'm glad to see someone who's not completely exclusive to anything other than a Porsche.

YellowJacket is offline   Reply With Quote