Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2010, 09:02 PM   #1

turbo question

I spoke with flat 6 the other day, the bottom line was 18k for a 3.6 with a core swap. This is way more than I want to spend....18k plus sell my car for a few bucks and I can buy a 911. Has anyone driven a 986 with the TPC turbo? This thing looks awesome for 10k(my high end for the engine mod was supposed to be 8k), I guess that would be my final mod? I watched the video and he was redlining or pretty close to it .... I've got to stick my butt in that seat before I commit that kind of coin.

http://www.tpcracing.com/products/Porsche-986-Boxster-S-Turbo-System/

Old 08-04-2010, 09:18 PM   #2

http://www.turbowerx.com/

I have heard a lot of good things about these people. They are in my home town, and the cars they make run like stink.

however the engine most likley will blow up eventually with any turbo system. From my understanding, you need to lower the compression ratio to safely run a turbo. That means internal motor work, and lots of money.
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 09:31 PM   #3

I wouldn't even think of running a turbo on a stock M96 engine.

If you want power, trade your Boxster for a 996 Turbo, which can be had on the cheap in this market.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:55 AM   #4

Let's face it..Boxsters are great cars, but not cheap at all when it comes to mods like engine upgrades.

Flat 6 would be the best way to go if you wanted the complete package and a good firm to stand behind their work.

Or you could call LA dismantlers and get a 996 3.6 and then pay to have a swap done for a little cheaper.

I agree with Cloudsurfer about going turbo. Just retire the 986 and buy a well maintained 911 turbo. Those cars are time attack machines set up to be driven well beyond most people's capacity.

If you did go turbo on the box, call TurboWerx.

'01 S - Guards Red / Beige - Surrendered - 04.18.12
jwade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #5

When my motor blows, I will probably send the car to someone like Brad Roberts in CA and have them put an LS1 in it, changing my personalized plates to I8A LS1

Swapping or replacing motors in our cars is done because we love the car we own and have no intention of selling it or don't care if we are sinking money into the car we'll never get out of it.

I've always wanted a TT, but I've seen too many 911's spin out at the track when the driver let up on the pedal around a corner inducing a spinout. I'll keep my "secretary's" or "poor man's" Porsche with it's mid-engine design and increase the HP and torque with a Chevy motor.

BTW, turbocharging a non-modified M96 is just about the best way to insure spending the extra $8k in a year or two on a motor rebuild if not more money. Raby's dependable 3.6 with nikkies and new heads and a revised IMS bearing will be a rock-solid motor that will take a lot of abuse for many years.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote