Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2010, 11:12 AM   #1

Cold Air coming from defroster vent

New the the forum. I have a 99' 986. When the A/C is on (whether in Auto or 'manuell' mode) cold air comes out of the defroster vent. The only time that air doesn't come out of here is if you only have the floor vents on...dash (ellipse) and upper (^) off.

I'm hoping for a somewhat easy fix, as tearing apart the dash is not an appetizing thought as I just finished dismantling the one in my 928.

Thanks'
Kris

Reality is the curse of the sane.

Last edited by BuddhaKip; 08-03-2010 at 11:14 AM.
BuddhaKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 12:46 PM   #2

If your car is anything like mine, and I believe it is, the foam seals between all the ductwork joints have disintegrated and air goes wherever it wants to go when you turn on the AC.

There are also vacuum switches or electric motors (no idea which it is) that move flaps open and shut for the various areas of the car and I'm betting that one of yours is shot.

The oldest boxsters like ours—regardless of mileage—require a lot of fiddling on an ongoing basis to keep them in top notch shape.

RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote