Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #1

Changing instrument clusters

I love my 2001 Boxster S, but there is one cosmetic feature of it that I would really like to change. I just like the BLACK gauges (black faces, with black rings) of the 5-speed Boxster better, and would like to ditch my whitish aluminum S-type gauges.

Has anyone done this? Are there consequences of doing it? I am worried that the instrument cluster is electronically matched to the engine size or something, and that it will not work.

And what about the odometer reading? Is the odometer "counter" IN the gauge cluster, or somewhere else? If it is in the cluster, how do I set it to the proper reading?

Assuming it is a straight swap, where is the best place to find a non-S Boxster cluster for a reasonable price? The clusters I have seen for sale are really expensive!

Thanks!

Auf los! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 05:54 PM   #2
JTP

Look for someone to trade with. I bet there's someone on this forum with a base model wanting to upgrade to the white S model gauges.
JTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2010, 06:06 PM   #3

Gauge clusters from different model years and S's and non S's are not interchangeable.

What you'll have to do is buy some custom made black gauge faces for your S cluster and there's nothing simple about this suggestion.... I've not seen them for sale anywhere.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 04:21 AM   #4

Can you be more specific about why they are not interchangeable, Randall?

In all my searching, I found exactly ONE set of black gauge faces for sale...they are made by FVD Brombacher and Auto Atlanta has them for sale for...$1218! The graphics ARE different, though, they are a more traditional (possibly classic Porsche?) style, which appeals to me, but not for THAT kind of money. Yow!

Since it is relatively easy to replace the gauge faces, maybe that is what I should do...just swap the faces, not the whole clusters?
Auf los! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:09 AM   #5

Auf, the clusters can't be freely swapped because some have MOST fiber optics while others do not and then there's the computer box that changes versions with every model year. Then there's calibration. My tach and speedo is calibrated to a 2.5 manual 5 speed, and yours is a 3.2 six speed (you dirty rat).

Swapping the faces is certainly the easiest way to go, but you have already found that there's not too many face sets available for the S model cars. I did see one "budget" shop on eBay but it was still going to be $500.

If I were you, I'd grow accustomed to it and save all the time and energy and money for repairs, which will certainly come along after you've spend a bunch of money on something non-essential like this.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 05:33 AM   #6
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
Auf, the clusters can't be freely swapped because some have MOST fiber optics while others do not and then there's the computer box that changes versions with every model year. Then there's calibration. My tach and speedo is calibrated to a 2.5 manual 5 speed, and yours is a 3.2 six speed (you dirty rat).

Swapping the faces is certainly the easiest way to go, but you have already found that there's not too many face sets available for the S model cars. I did see one "budget" shop on eBay but it was still going to be $500.

If I were you, I'd grow accustomed to it and save all the time and energy and money for repairs, which will certainly come along after you've spend a bunch of money on something non-essential like this.
So are you saying that if he finds a cluster from an 01 non-S, it's not a direct swap? I think it probably is.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 11:57 AM   #7
JTP

Wasn't there a thread about swapping a cluster out of a 996 into a 986? It might have been on Renntech. It was a long procedure but this has to be a similar process to what the OP is trying to accomplish.

JTP is offline   Reply With Quote