Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2010, 08:23 AM   #1
Pat

Got the Boxster aligned for the first time since I bought it

I was hoping for -1.2 degrees of camber up front. They maxed it out and only got -0.5. Ugh. I had them minimize the camber in back and it still had -1.5.
So much for eliminating understeer. Toe was zero'd out all around.
I guess I'll have to play with tire pressures again at this weekend's track event. I'm not optimistic.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:25 AM   #2

that sounds about right and about what you can get out of the boxster stock suspension.

What size tire are you running up front?

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:27 AM   #3
Pat

Right now the Boxster S is totally stock other than a deep sump oil pan and aftermarket one-piece seat. So tires up front are 225/40-18s if I remember right.
Old 06-29-2010, 04:32 PM   #4

I know on my 17" wheel going from the factory recommended 205 to a 225 cured a bit of that inherent understeer. Perhaps next time you need new front tires pick out something a bit wider. I know that doesn't really help right now, sorry.

Orlando - 99 BMW M Coupe (autocross toy), '11 Mazdaspeed 3 (dog hauler), '99 10AE Miata (the new daily driver)
Old 06-29-2010, 06:12 PM   #5
Pat

Yeah, next spring I intend on getting new wheels and tires, both of which will be wider.
Old 06-30-2010, 05:02 AM   #6

if your serious about it, maybe it is time for a set of front adjustable camber plates

Old 07-09-2010, 08:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabel
if your serious about it, maybe it is time for a set of front adjustable camber plates
Or go with the adjustable GT3 lower control arms. You can adjust the camber all the way positive at the top and set the camber to what you want with the shims in the control arms. That's what I did. It gives you a very slightly wider track in the front and allows whatever camber you want to have.
Boxsterund914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:42 AM   #8
Pat

Thanks, guys. I'm well aware of my options for buying different parts that will allow for greater camber. I must say it is disappointing to learn Porsche designed the car such that maximizing camber up front still allows for a lot of understeer. I'm not planning on modding the car in the near future, so this is a downer.
Old 07-11-2010, 09:19 AM   #9

Garage
what tire size are you running in the rear? also it is quite easy to adjust tire pressures in order to help minimize under steer. or worst comes to worst you can do the poor mans over-steer trick and put less sticky tires out back. I currently run star-specs z1s up front which when autocross-ed have the consistency of a fudge brownie. but in the rear I run PS1s which remain fairly hard. it is only a temporary thing but if all you are trying to do is induce over-steer there are things you can do to accommodate that goal.

Lobo1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:30 AM   #10
Track rat

Garage
Lots of drivers AX their Boxsters with 17x8.5 wheels and 255/40/17s on all four. Plenty of grip and if you understeer now you are simply apexing too early. Any obstacle can be overcome. It just depends on how much $$ you want to spend.