Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2010, 05:53 PM   #1

keyless entry range

Am new to the forum and just bought an 06 and am lovin it.

It has 13K miles and still under warranty.

My question is, what is the range of the keyless entry? i took it to the dealer because the remote had trouble opening the rear trunk untill a mechanic found it could be opened while operating the remote while standing on the side of the car. The trunk will not open when attempting remote directly in the rear.

They could not solve the issue and told me they would get back- that was two weeks ago.

Furthermore, the keyless range is anemic - like 10-15 feet to operate lock and unlock. Is this normal?

I am thinking there is an antenna problem but need to be armed with info before I return to the dealer who also improperly fixed my convertible top(side wires outside of the track on closing)

Thanks in advance

Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
Run

I have an 03 and the range is dismal. Like the poorly placed cup holder I guess the Germans figure whats the point as long as it opens the doors.
Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:02 PM   #3

Red face

I've 01 and the remote is only good for about 2 car length.
it's a blessing in disguise for me. I hate people that walk (far) away from their vehicle before engaging the alarm. Most have cars that beeps or worse, honks loudly. I've been startled by a loud horn from a car next to mine only to see the back of a person walking away pushing their key-less remote.
with a short range and the fact that my boxster only flashes its directional lights (is this the only mode or did my car have it's vocal cord cut), I need to be looking at my car to set the alarm. Even if it had sound as feedback, I would be conscious of people nearby and not push the alarm button until they are some distance away.
thanks for providing this thread as a place for me to vent.
I had my BMW alarm re-coded from flash and honk to only flash as part of the purchase agreement.
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:06 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
The range isn't that far, maybe 15-20 feet for me. However, there is a modification you can do to extend it. I was going to this, but then decided: A) it's not worth the trouble, and B) I don't want the car to be able to unlock if I accidentally hit the key while I'm inside.

http://boxster.wikia.com/wiki/Procedure
Old 04-23-2010, 01:59 AM   #5

Location: Seattle - It's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
or just hold the key up to your chin. turns your body into the remote antenna. i can get up to about 50 ft.

yes it works.

2001 Porsche Boxster S
1988 Porsche 928 S4
Dave928 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 02:48 AM   #6

Are you saying you can stand directly behind the car, only a few feet away, and it won't unlock? That's not right, I have an 06 also, and don't have that problem. Are the remote batteries getting weak? Try changing them.
Steve
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2010, 04:50 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen wilson
Are you saying you can stand directly behind the car, only a few feet away, and it won't unlock? That's not right, I have an 06 also, and don't have that problem. Are the remote batteries getting weak? Try changing them.
Steve
That is correct and I have tried a new battery.

Thanks for the responses guys. It looks like I am going to enjoy this forum.

Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote