Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2010, 08:44 AM   #1

Looking for a mechanic/dealership in Balto/Wash area

I hate to sound like the stereotypical girl, but... I recently bought a 2006 Boxster S and this thing on my dashboard is telling me it's time for routine service. My car is still under the factory warranty. Does anyone know of a decent mechanic and/or dealership in the Baltimore/Washington area where I can take my car for service? Also, I have a problem shifting once the transmission is warmed up. I have the tiptronic transmission. Any ideas what the problem could be? Please tell me it's not going to cost a fortune to fix it!

CindyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:30 AM   #2
kpm

MD Tech

Welcome Cindylou ! Try this thread...

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24177

I just bought a 2001 S and will be searching for a tech also.
kpm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 09:51 AM   #3

Anything I cant do myself, I go to Ralph's Auto Service in Reisterstown. He is a great guy and has been working on Porsche since around the '70s so he knows a lot. I think before that he worked on Mercedes, building race cars or something. Even if I have a simple question about something or I'm stuck in the middle of a repair, I call him for advice and he is always very willing to help. His prices may be a bit higher than you will get elsewhere, but it's still not as bad as the dealership and i dont think you can do much better for someone with so much experience.

By the way, I have no direct affiliation with Ralph other than I am one of his customers. This is just from my personal experience and opinion on his work.

The number on yellowpages.com i think is incorrect. It will connect you to the shop next door. Ralph's number is 410-526-2500.
gwoodburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 10:36 AM   #4

Thanks very much, fellow Porsche owners! I appreciate the advice!
CindyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 07:09 AM   #5

I go to At Speed Motorsports in Hanover. The owner, Bob Miller, is a long-time Porsche racer has a number of well qualified Porsche mechanics. They are always helpful and have done some things for me while I wait. Their number is 410-712-4290.

If your car is still under warranty, you should probably go to the dealer for the transmission issue. There are two or three in the area.
nylart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #6
kpm

dealers ...bah!

Don't go to Tischer in the Auto Park in Silver Spring. They wanted $2555.00 to do all 4 CV boots on a 2001 S.

And it took them 2 hours to call me back with that quote. Everywhere else I checked said between $800 and $1250.00.

Porsche of Annapolis has a pretty good reputation. 443-837-2635 ask for Rick Brewer. 10% discount for PCA members.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #7

What sort of shifting problem are you having?
stephen wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 05:23 PM   #8
kpm

update

I was pleasantly surprised by Porsche of Annapolis. I was quoted 1263.00 for the cv boot replacement and scheduled an appointment for Wed. I waited for Rick to call but had to step out for an hour and was afraid I missed his call.

I called about 1:30 or so and he told me the car would not be ready that afternoon. I think it was a parts issue but since this a very small dealership it might have been an over booking deal...doesn't matter.

I finally picked up the car Friday morning and the final price was...are you sitting down...lower.

$1094.00

I will be doing non-major maintenance myself but PoA will have my business from now on.