Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #1

window problem

I changed my battery and my drivers window worked for a couple of times then stopped working. I could hear the motor "tick" when I touched the button but the window did not go up or down. I took the whole thing apart and found that the motor was fine but the winding mechanism was very stiff. Took it all apart fixed and now works fine....except for one thing. It's backwards. I read somewhere that if you remove your battery and reconnect you must turn your key on for 60 seconds then in the off position for 10 seconds. That didn't work. Any ideas?

greybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 08:46 AM   #2

I've never had a Boxster window mechanisim apart...and assuming you assembled it correctly, it sounds as if the window motor has been polarized to turn in the opposite direction. Prior to alternators, when cars had generators you sometimes had to polarize the motor/generator to function properly. If memory serves, you had to connect the ground lead to the motor to a negative battery lead and briefly touch the positive motor lead to the positive battery post. Just a thought.
Keith Newby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:44 PM   #3

Resetting power window

From the Bentley Service Manual, Section 27, With the top closed, raise the window and keep power window switch in the raised position for about 5 seconds.

U986S is offline   Reply With Quote