Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 01:42 PM   #1

Question Hood Dents

Hey guys,

I have a few very subtle outward dents on my hood (Thanks previous owner for slamming the hood on something that didn't fit!)

Anyway I have seen a bunch of services for dent removal but they are usually popping the dents out where in my case (assumption) they would have to suck them back in or ruin the paint..

Just wondering what you guys think.

Thanks guys.

2.7boxer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:11 PM   #2

dents

I had an "outie" on my rear trunk and the PDI guy fixed that just as well as the other small dents. No issue with paint cracking.
jrblackbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:48 PM   #3

Question Pricing

Good to know, Thanks! Any idea what the ball park price is per dent?

Thanks.

edit: noob question - PDI?

Last edited by 2.7boxer6; 04-12-2010 at 04:59 PM.
2.7boxer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:11 PM   #4

I've used three different local guys, the experience level in my case made a big difference in the results. Funny thing, the Porsche garnered a 50% increase in price, $75 for one door ding vs. about $40 to $50 for more mundane makes (that was the best guy's price). Ask your local car dealership who they use. Cash helps.

PDI= Paintless Dent ?
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreseller
I've used three different local guys, the experience level in my case made a big difference in the results. Funny thing, the Porsche garnered a 50% increase in price, $75 for one door ding vs. about $40 to $50 for more mundane makes

Porsche tax . . . alive and well
Old 04-13-2010, 04:45 PM   #6

I had one serious protruding dent in my rear trunk lid removed along with several less serious ones in the rear trunk lid, plus a sizeable door ding in the left rear panel above the intake louver and a couple of other minor dingss in the right rear quarter panel. All for $100.

The trunk lid looks perfect even though I had complicated the metal stretch by trying to remove the major dent myself without proper tools or training. I did not even see the several other dents that he found and removed until he showed them to me under his halogen light.

I am locating a few others that are possible to detect only under certain lighting conditions. When I go back to this guy, I will have him thoroughly scan the body with his halogen light. I could not be any happier with this service that took less than an hour. The great part is he works in the evenings and on weekends by appointment.

Midwest farm community prices are probably lower than metropolitan. We get a lot of hail damage here, so this young man has had plenty of practice and gets lots of business. It was amazing what he did for the roof of an Impala from a local dealer's lot.

I highly recommend PDR, although I am sure that results quality can vary greatly depending on the technician. Good luck with yours. Cheers
lostbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:11 AM   #7

Garage
have had great pdr expriences

I've always been amazed at what they can do. I had the same experience as lostbrit. For about $100 I had 3-4 dings taken completely out. One was above the drivers side intake vent. He had to take that all apart which was the most time consuming thing he did. Our pdr guys have lots of experience here too. I'm in Abilene KS near lostbrit and we have lots of hail every year. My Boxster has never seen that kind of weather but my newer Ford F150 has been nailed twice already.
SeanZ4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 12:10 AM   #8

PDR is the way to go.

Once fixed, keep it that way by installing Das Schild liners. These do a very good job of protecting the panels from bulging dents due to closing the panel on something, not too expensive, especially when compared to the cost of repeated PDR.

Cheers!

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote