Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2010, 06:43 AM   #1

Remote Key Programming?

What exactly does the dealer have to do with the PIWIS to get a key to work? Specifically I have a key that used to work perfectly. The battery on the boxster has been disconnected for some time. The key still works mechanically, the car starts, and the key battery is <1 year old.

There are a bunch of posts on the web about getting in and turning the car on and off and pressing the button and then jumping up and down 3 times while sacrificing cats to get the key and the car to sync. I believe most of these people are either A) charlatans and/or B ) mistaking the 5 day remote entry function for a problem with their keys. I've searched for a while now and the only answers I've found are 100 versions of the previously mentioned witchcraft or the generic "take it to the dealer" answer.

This seems to be solely an issue with the alarm module not recognizing the signal transmitted by the key. Is there a way to fix this at home without a PIWIS? I do have a durametrics cable, but I don't see a key programming option in there either.

ARModen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Not even the dealer can program your alarm system to accept the key unless you have the small card with a barcode on it that came with the key.

The dealer must enter the alarm system learning code (dealers can look this up) and the code mentioned above.

You most likely have a bad remote.

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote