Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2005, 04:33 AM   #1

Unhappy Very strange window problem

I've just purchased a 1998 Boxster about a week ago, its still under warranty for three months but i've found that when i start the engine the windows lower about 10cm...is this normal? Thats fine but when I try to get the windows to go p fully, perhaps one day when it is raining and I don't want the top up, the windows will not go up to the completely closed position.

Sometimes I've found if I open the top and then close it again it sometimes may close fully. Also sometimes when I take the key out and lock it then put the key back in it might close fully

Also its happened where I've taken the key out, with the window being not fully closed and then one window will fully lower but not the other with the key out of the ignition!!!

Sometimes it can be very annoying when I want the window to be closed. Any similar problems? I might have to take it back down and make the dealer deal with the problem.

Thanks

Justin

aKiNa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 05:57 AM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Richard Truss
sounds to me like you have a problem with your sensor -- the one located just above your rear-view mirror. It senses whether the top is fully closed or not and will not allow you to fully roll up your windows if it does not think the top is closed.

my bet is that this sensor is bad or perhaps just stuck in some way (when the top locks down, the sensor actually 'clicks' in). you should be able to push it with your finger and hear the clicking.

good luck.
Old 03-28-2005, 01:12 PM   #3

Justin, the same thing happened to me for a while when the top was UP.

Found out that the hook that goes into the hole in the center thingy (very technical, huh?) was on the lip and not fully positioned to go into the hole and depress the switch. Grrr.

Now, when I raise the top I use my left thumb to guide the hook into the hole and my right hand to secure the top. That's fixed it.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #4

Thanks a lot for the help i will experiment with the suggestions to see what the problem is. I have a feeling that your right because no I recall that the top doesn't go exactly in the center, its only when I press down on the button to lock it in does it goto the center.

Any idea why it doesn't sit exactly in the right place?
The car is still under wanrranty at the dealer so if i can I will try and get them to work properly

Thanks for the quick replies

Justin
aKiNa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2005, 06:03 PM   #5

I had the same exact problem, but my windows wouldn't roll up at all! I drove around in my new '98 boxster for 1.5 months with my windows rolled down a bit. It sucked.

However, I found out that the button found where the latch "hooks" in isn't being pressed all the way. I found a piece of adhesive foam/fabric attached to my hook. It was cut the exact same size (rectangular) as the button. I put it back on, and I never had a problem since. Either the button isn't being pressed all the way for you, or the button may be damaged. I was told that this would cost about $35-45 for the button replacement.

If I were you, I would place a little pad on the button to allow the hook to press it in a little more. Foam sticker would probably be perfect, or possibly the soft side of velcro tape.

My fix cost me $0 because I simply put this small patch back on the button!

ralegen is offline   Reply With Quote