Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2002, 06:38 AM   #1

Litronics and Clear/red tail lights

I completed my light project yesterday.

1) Replace the factory orange/red tail lights with clear/reds. Took 15 minutes to complete. Most difficult part was replacing the inside carpet-cover nuts.

2) Replaced factory headlights with a Litronic kit (including module). Pretty simply. Several decisions were needed including to drill or not to drill a hole for the wire harness. I chose to punch out an opening through the rubber-gromet for the headight-cable. Also, I did not use the Porsche supplied "pins" to wire up as I do not have a pin puller. I spliced into the appropriate wires. The most challanging part was deciding where to mount the control module. I could not put it at the Porsche recommended site since I have a metal thing (hard to describe, but a small metal mounting gizmo (for what purpose I have no idea) was in the way. Total time around 2.5 hours including cleanup (i.e., washing the car to get rid of the finger prints!). final results -- WOW quite an improvement in night driving.

3). The most difficult project of all -- installing color-matched bumper plugs.

ehljags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 06:46 AM   #2

Talking Mods

Cool, congratulations on those mods.

I am not into the clear tails myself, I like the old style better. Litronics cost too much IMO, not worth it for me.
mjbliemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2002, 01:19 PM   #3

I agree Litronics are pricey; however, if you shop around, you can get the kit for around $950-ish, which is ~1/2 Porsche list. Amazing, I contacted 1 dealer in the NW whom wanted over $2200 plus shipping!
Old 12-16-2002, 11:17 AM   #4
Unregistered

I bet you have a 2001 or older car. Our local Boxster group put the lits in on a 2002 in July, and the black 21 pin connector on the passenger side that you tap into was not present - but we figured out a way to make it work. On 11/11/02 Porsche came out with a updated TSB to cover the wiring changes with the 2002 model.

I have the pin removal tool. In the new TSB Porsche says just to solder the 2 new wires when you piggy back them - and the 2 pins that come in the kit are not used.

Jeff
Old 12-17-2002, 06:27 PM   #5

Yes, my car is a 2001. I did the "splice" as I did not have time to look for a pin puller. Although, perhaps, I should purchase one for future use - after all, one can never have enough tools!!
Old 01-22-2003, 06:16 AM   #6
Unregistered

Does the Litronic kit include the headlight washer?
Old 01-22-2003, 03:11 PM   #7

The Litronic kit does not include the headlight washer. It can be purchased seperately.

the kit includes the lights, control module (adjusts the high beam and low beam "fill"), and wiring harness.
Old 03-30-2003, 07:47 PM   #8
Unregistered

can you clear the headlights instead of having to buy new ones?
Old 03-31-2003, 03:10 PM   #9

Please define "clear the headlights."