Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2009, 10:31 AM   #1

LSD for 1999 5 speed

Anyone know of an LSD that fits 1999 5 speed transmission. My AX car needs an LSD bad!

grantsfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:39 AM   #2

Click on the Flat 6 banner on the top right hand corner of the page. Jake Raby sells LSD's.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 10:47 AM   #3
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsfo
Anyone know of an LSD that fits 1999 5 speed transmission. My AX car needs an LSD bad!
Guard transmission
gbox transmission
quaife

All in the $1700-2200 range.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #4

You need to decide if you want an LSD or a TBD (torque biasing diff, like a Quaife). If you want a real LSD, I would go with Guard, and if you want a TBD, I would still pick the Guard over the Quaife, as it's a better unit, and actually, cheaper.
Old 11-13-2009, 02:20 PM   #5

Guard indicates theirs might not fit certain 99 5 speed gearboxes. I literally have to break mine open and let them know whats inside! Wont consider Quaife. Havent heard of gbox? Any links to that one?
grantsfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 08:36 AM   #6
Porscheectomy

There's a new company called Wavetrac that will be releasing torque sensing LSD units for the 996/986 6-speed in January. Their system is unique in that it has the ability to provide locking when one wheel is completely unloaded, which normal torque sensing LSDs can't do. It also claims to provide longer life and more gradual locking than competitors. On top of all that, it's cheaper than Guard by quite a bit. You might want to inquire with them, maybe if they get enough interest, they'll develop one for the 5-speed.

http://www.wavetrac.net/
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:59 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantsfo
Guard indicates theirs might not fit certain 99 5 speed gearboxes. I literally have to break mine open and let them know whats inside! Wont consider Quaife. Havent heard of gbox? Any links to that one?
I'm curious as to why you won't consider Quaife unless you are going for a true LSD? I have a Quaife installed on my 2002 S and it has been the best modification I have made (I autocross a lot). I bought the unit from Autotech who was very responsive and shipped mine within 24 hours of the purchase.

Sammy

Sammy is offline   Reply With Quote