Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2009, 11:42 AM   #1

Porsche Boxster Clutch

Hi Folks,

Urgently need some help.

I have a 04 plat boxster 228. The clutch however seems to have burnt by the smell of things. Only been drivin 39,000miles which I find strange.

2 Questions,

Is this covered by the 6month warranty i was offered by the dealer when i bought the car? im guessing so.

And if not, how much would it cost to repair or replace?

Please help

Thanks

babyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 01:04 PM   #2

Garage
39K miles is good for a Boxster clutch you may find it is the 2nd clutch you are replacing. Clutch is about $600. US & another $700 if the flywheel is worn since it canot be resurfaced. Labor is about $800. Hopefully you have a written warranty which says the clutch is covered. The Boxster is one of the most difficult cars to start off in without slipping the clutch & this is what causes wear
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 03:07 PM   #3
Rennzenn

Garage
There are plenty of Boxsters out there with lots of miles on the original clutch. I bought my '00 986S in '05 with 60,000 on the car, and there was no record of the clutch being replaced. The car now has 126,000, including 3 seasons of AX on the same clutch .

If you need a clutch, try an independent mechanic. For the clutch and flywheel you've got a few different options. Search this site.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 06:18 PM   #4

can you describe the clutch smell? I notice burning smell too, but I think it has to do with something else as described by other owners and not the clutch

Does the clutch slip? grab high?
DANMKII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #5
Porscheectomy

A Boxster's clutch can most definitely go more than 50,000 miles so don't go by mileage as a guideline for replacement. Unless you're riding the clutch, it shouldn't smell like it's burning. Even if it's worn out.

My guess is that you've got a broken cv boot and you've got grease burning on the exhaust system or an oil leak somewhere that's dripping on the exhaust.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 04:15 AM   #6

Thanks folks for your replies, much appreciated!

There appears to be a burning smell coming form the air intakes on the sides which I have been told is the clutch.

I'm having to rev quite a bit before the car begins to move as well in first gear.

However, I do agree with some of the comments on this thread regarding mileage. I find it strange that the clutch has gone after 39k miles.

The dealer has said its not covered in the warranty and so far, I have been given a quote of £600 for parts and labour????

Thanks again
babyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2009, 05:45 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BYprodriver
39K miles is good for a Boxster clutch you may find it is the 2nd clutch you are replacing. Clutch is about $600. US & another $700 if the flywheel is worn since it canot be resurfaced. Labor is about $800. Hopefully you have a written warranty which says the clutch is covered. The Boxster is one of the most difficult cars to start off in without slipping the clutch & this is what causes wear

the most difficult cars to start off in without slipping the clutch?

That’s a bunch of crap. where did you come up with that?
lardog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 05:58 AM   #8

[QUOTE=babyboxster]Thanks folks for your replies, much appreciated!

There appears to be a burning smell coming form the air intakes on the sides which I have been told is the clutch.

I'm having to rev quite a bit before the car begins to move as well in first gear.

my 2 cent
If you have to rev (a clutch vehicle) for the car to move, you definitely have a clutch problem. burnt and scorched such that the contact surface has no grip and thus burnt smell...

on a flat road, I can almost fully engage the clutch at idle - very much like the air cooled VW beetle. I don't understand all the clutch problem posts other than conclude that every stop and go is a full rev power launch
01 5 speed with 96K miles on original clutch
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:44 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lardog
the most difficult cars to start off in without slipping the clutch?

That’s a bunch of crap. where did you come up with that?
Test driving cars for PCNA for 3 years
BYprodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 06:59 AM   #10

Just a thought, but perhaps you have an RMS leak and you've oiled the clutch disk?

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote