Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2009, 09:00 AM   #1

CEL with P1130 code only

I have repeated P1130 codes that happen every couple of weeks just as the engine warms to normal operating temp if I get stopped at a traffic light. I erase the code and CEL stays off for weeks at a time. Conventional wisdom on this board is that code is set by MAF, not due to a problem with O2 sensor. I cleaned the MAF two weeks ago, but the light came on again this morning. Car runs perfectly with no perceived problems other than the CEL.

Car is a US Boxster S, 2001 model built in Finland with Tiptronic.

1. How do I further diagnose to determine if it is MAF or is actually O2 sensor? It would seem that if the code is set by a vacuum leak, there would also be a P1128 code for the other bank.
2. If it is the O2, can someone provide a photo of the location for the sensor that sets P1130 and replacement instructions. Is this on passenger side or driver's side?

Thanks,

Bruce

lee-enfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 06:00 AM   #2

whether my experience correlates with yours, ???
i have 01 5speed. at about 74K miles (1-2 years ago) my car started setting P1130 when the car is stopped at a light right after exiting freeway (it's my DD so same driving/route).. the same light, same situation.
2nd cel about 6 months later, 3rd and 4th at about 3 month interval. then LOTS of WHITE SMOKE!!
AOS replaced. then some months after the AOS replacement, P1128 while driving stop and go.
cleaned MAF and throttle body (really dirty). no more P1138 or P1128 code for the past 9 months. my car is at 96K miles.
regards,
sb01box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 08:25 AM   #3

Not necessarily the MAF

– Incorrect signal from MAF sensor (borrow one from a friend)
– Intake air system leaking (Trace over every hose and clamp from the throttle body out to the air filter)
– Fuel pressure too low or high
– Volume supply of fuel pump too low or high
– Fuel injectors fouled (bottle of techron into the gas)
– Exhaust system leaking (test by covering the exhaust pipe and seeing if you hear anything)

Done anything to the car in the last 6 months?

Ever cleaned the throttle body?

Ever do an Italian tune up (get it hot and rev it up)?

mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote