Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2009, 01:35 PM   #1

has anyone painted there bezel rings?

is possible to take off the bezel rings and paint it? has anyone attempted this?

embryoguy@mac.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 02:19 PM   #2

I haven't painted the bezel rings yet but am going to. All the info you need on painting them should be on my earlier post about painting the door pulls...except how to remove the bezel! lol. And THAT I can't tell you yet since I haven't done it. But, afaik, they can be removed and either painted or replaced.

Here's a link to the thread: http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=193438#post193438

If you're wanting some color other than the alumina look I can't help you with any of that info about paint colors/formulas etc . sorry.

Bob
7/15 mm spacers
Deambered
Desnorked
SS door sills
Debadged
Clear tails
Technobrace
Technobra
I'll never own another black car!
Bob O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 05:44 PM   #3

Here is what I have done with mine

Old 10-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #4

Hey Wingnut2u, you wanna describe your technique on that project? That looks great!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #5

I bought a set of trim rings off eBay and had those painted. They are just an overlay that uses 3m tape to hold them in place. I liked that idea better than trying to dismantle the gauge bezels and it is totally reversible.

The center console is easily removable for painting.

The center dash strips were a PITA to remove. For those you will have to buy replacement pieces as you will damage the original pieces during removal.

I was having some bodywork done on the car so I had the body shop paint all of the pieces at the same time while they were painting my front bumper.

I must say that the pictures do not do it justice. I am very pleased with the outcome and it really gave the car a much more updated appearance
Old 10-11-2009, 06:19 PM   #6

Yeah, cool, but the center windscreen "PORSCHE"...is that a decal or what? If it's a decal, where'd you get it?
Old 10-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #7

decal is an eBay special, it is also reflective show it shows up well at night
Old 10-11-2009, 07:54 PM   #8

Send a message via AIM to djomlas
i painted mine silver...
check out some pics in my signature..

exhaust cutouts::EVOcoldair intake::OEM smoked tails & sidemarkers::

colormatched bumperettes::Top Speed Pro-1 exhaust::
my cardomain/pictures page
djomlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 04:54 AM   #9

Hey DJ, if memory serves, you sold your Box, Right?
Old 10-14-2009, 01:36 PM   #10

thanks everyone for the responses. was it difficult to remove the bezel to paint? instead of 100$ for an aluminium one i figure i can do it for the cost of a spray can.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:55 PM   #11

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
The OEM rings do not come off, While they do look like they snap on and off, I assure you they are molded on to the housing. I remove the entire gauge cluster, then removed the cover and used masking tape to cover all the areas & clear lenses and painted mine silver.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 02:03 PM   #12

ok thanks cj for the info. i might just end up buying the upgrade than. i didnt want to spend 100 for it but it seems that its the only way for me. i m not mechanically inclined to take out the cluster.

THANK YOU everyone for the info. !
Old 10-14-2009, 02:12 PM   #13

ok thanks cj for the info. i might just end up buying the upgrade than. i didnt want to spend 100 for it but it seems that its the only way for me. i m not mechanically inclined to take out the cluster.

THANK YOU everyone for the info. !
Old 10-14-2009, 02:16 PM   #14

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Just keep this in mind, you will feel alittle ripped off when they arrive in the mail, as anyone who has paid 100 for them and ask them there first reaction once they opened the box they were shipped in lol. They look nice once they are on the car but man... $100 for 3 stamped rings willl hurt once you see how simple they are.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 03:38 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ_Boxster
Just keep this in mind, you will feel alittle ripped off when they arrive in the mail, as anyone who has paid 100 for them and ask them there first reaction once they opened the box they were shipped in lol. They look nice once they are on the car but man... $100 for 3 stamped rings willl hurt once you see how simple they are.

^^^^ +1

but I got over it once I installed the painted rings
Old 10-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #16

cj, thats why i posted this thread. i was hoping that there was a cheaper alternative that i could do. maybe i can hand paint it ! haha, if i screw it up than i can suck it up and spend the 100 for the real rings.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:01 AM   #17

Looks to me like you can mask very carefully & thoroughly, then spray in place w light coats. You can avoid tedious stretching and taping by pre-making some custom masking tape circles & arcs, by placing wide masking tape onto a cutting surface, then cutting it using soupcans, etc. that are close to the exact diameter of the instrument faces.
Gougoushu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:29 AM   #18

This is just my opinion.

First off this is a Porshce not a Miata or a Honda so why would you want a potentially second rate paint job on the trim rings. Leave that for the little kid ricers. Second what are you going to do if your rattle can paint job looks like crap or you get overspray on the instrument panel cover. How are you going to get the paint off and how much time and money is it going to cost you to fix it. Time is money, how much is your time worth? So again, how much time is it going to take to pull the instrument panel, mask it, paint and reinstall and as I mentioned before what happens if you don't like the way that it looks?

$100 is steep for 3 rings but look at it this way, time to paint 5 minutes, time to install 5 minutes, you can probably do it faster than that, and it is fully reversible with no damage to the car. Plus, I can always sell the rings to someone else at a later date if I change my mind. To me the risk/reward wasn't worth it. I ponied up the $$$ and bought the rings and in hindsight I still think it was the right decision.

I am all for minimizing costs whenever possible but I just don't think this is one of those times. Just my $.02
Old 10-16-2009, 10:56 AM   #19

good point wing.