Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2009, 03:23 AM   #1

Question Driver side seat heater broken.

I recently did a DIY head unit replacement for my 2001 Boxster.

I just discovered today for the first using my seat heaters that they are not function correctly.

When I press the seat heater button, it lights up for one second and then the light turns off.

Could I have short circuited a wire near the radio head unit? Or all the seat heater wires under the seat? Or could it just be a blown fuse

Thanks!

bkc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 03:49 AM   #2

first... try switching the switches and see if the 'no work' follows or stays on same side
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2009, 08:18 AM   #3

The wiring for the seat heaters is not near the head unit. I would try swapping the switch from side to side to determine if that is the culprit. If not, it's possible that there is a fault in the wiring (but unlikely), but more likely the actual heating grid has gone bad.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:59 PM   #4

Thanks for the suggestion. I am going to try it and see whats happens.
bkc888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkc888
I recently did a DIY head unit replacement for my 2001 Boxster.

I just discovered today for the first using my seat heaters that they are not function correctly.

When I press the seat heater button, it lights up for one second and then the light turns off.

Could I have short circuited a wire near the radio head unit? Or all the seat heater wires under the seat? Or could it just be a blown fuse

Thanks!
If swapping switches does not fix it, IMHO the problem may be with the seat heater relay under the seat.

The two relays (one under each seat) are interchangeable, except that the bracket that holds each one in place is a mirror image of the other.

You can swap out the relays with each other as you have just done for the switches and see if that cures it. If so, just buy a replacement relay.

Regards, Maurice.

Last edited by schoir; 10-06-2009 at 09:28 PM.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #6
Bob Hindson Racing

All sound advice. Hopefully you don't have to replace a heater grid, as they're no fun.
Old 11-01-2009, 04:47 AM   #7

Well, I had the same problem and since no one ever posts the final solution about what happened, here is what happened to me.

I had the symptoms that the seat heater did not work and I was getting a red flash in the switch when I tried to turn it on.

Initially I switched the switches between the seats.

Next, checked the fuse... I should have done this first. The fuse position is A6.

Then I took out the driver’s seat (the offending seat). It was 4 bolts and a disconnection of a wire bundle. This wire bundle had a clip on it that you had to pull out while at the same time you had to pull the harness apart. Kind of tricky if you have never done it before. The key is to do both things at the same time.

Next, I checked the heater relay. It is the only relay under the seat. They way I checked it way by pulling out the other seat and using the relay that worked for sure off that seat. This is about a $60.00 part on www.pelicanparts.com. I got the same exact problem telling me that it was not the relay. To disconnect this relay, you have to push the foam up and push in the center of the black fastener (toward you). The nipple will then start to stick out toward the relay and you can pull it all the way out until it stops with some needle nose pliers. After that, you should be able to pull out the fastener.

I then plugged the relay back into the passenger (working) seat and I walked that seat over to the driver’s side and plugged it in. It worked, telling me that it was my driver’s seat for sure.

Then I disconnected the two wiring harnesses that were attached under the seat. There are two wires on each one of these and they both go under the seat foam. I tested the resistance with an Ohm meter of by sticking the red into one of the female side of the harness and the black into the other side of the same harness. I was completing the loop of the heating coil with the Ohm meter and checking the resistance. One had an infinite resistance and one had almost no resistance. This was odd. I checked the working seat and both had almost no resistance. That let me know that I had a bad heating element because there was an "open."

This is where I did some back yard fixin...

I cut the wire after the wiring harness before it went into the foam and I spliced the two wires together. This eliminated the open and the broken heating element. Now the system works, and the seat heats up. I am assuming that there are two heating elements in the seat and the one in the back on my car has broken. The seat still heats the front heating element and the seat appears to heat normally
nbeihl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2015, 11:55 AM   #8

Thanks for that, the exact same problem, and fix for mine too. The back the back of seat element failed.
The 2 black plugs and sockets that go off to each heating element are the ones with , base of seat brown and red/white cable and the back of seat red/white and red/white cable.
Shorted out those suckers on the back of seat plug and working OK on the base now. Strange how the back of the seat element fails, the base is where your butt is on would get more abuse
Looks a hard job to actually replace the element but having the base working is a 90% fix in my opinion

Note these wiring colours are for UK RHD car and the drivers seat 2004 boxster

Last edited by yeoblade; 01-14-2015 at 11:59 AM. Reason: RHD Car
yeoblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 01:10 PM   #9

Seat heater not working!

My drivers side backrest heater element has stopped working.
I want to splice together the wires as described but wanted to check I am looking at the correct wires.
There are wires going to the backrest on each side of the seat. (tunnel side-right & door side-left).
Anyone know if it is the left or right wires?

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeoblade View Post
Thanks for that, the exact same problem, and fix for mine too. The back the back of seat element failed.
The 2 black plugs and sockets that go off to each heating element are the ones with , base of seat brown and red/white cable and the back of seat red/white and red/white cable.
Shorted out those suckers on the back of seat plug and working OK on the base now. Strange how the back of the seat element fails, the base is where your butt is on would get more abuse
Looks a hard job to actually replace the element but having the base working is a 90% fix in my opinion

Note these wiring colours are for UK RHD car and the drivers seat 2004 boxster

njbray is offline   Reply With Quote