Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #1

Launch control standard on 2001 Boxster S?

I have been looking to replace my older 3 series for something a little more fun and I am torn between two very different vehicles. One being an E39 (2000-2003) and the Boxster S.

Long story short I finally drove a Boxster S this weekend and had something a little odd happen. I was seeing how quickly the car could launch so I pulled to the side of the road, brought the revs up to about 3500 rpm and started to feed the clutch out smoothly and I was shocked how fast that Boxster could get moving. After about 80 ft or so when I thought I had let the clutch fully engage, I felt the clutch move the last 3 or 4 inches of travel all the while laying two nice black patches behind me. After the take off I could smell a strong odor of clutch burning which worried me that I had done something wrong since this was the first time I had driven one.

My question is, did the 2001 Boxster S have some sort of launch control? Or is there something wrong with the one I drove?

skoobeesnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:39 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
Sorry, no launch control on a 2001. The one you drove now needs a new clutch.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:22 AM   #3

No launch control but what you described certainly qualifies as clutch abuse, so yes, I'd say that you "did something wrong."
Old 09-28-2009, 04:36 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies

I honestly think that clutch was on its way out before I drove it. I do know how to drive a manual trans, in fact my BMW that I currently have just turned over 200,000 miles and still has the original clutch. I did notice that when I left the dealership the first to second gear shift engaged with a clunk when I let out the clutch. Looks like if I do go with the Boxster I won't be getting that one.
skoobeesnak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 04:33 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobeesnak
brought the revs up to about 3500 rpm and started to feed the clutch out smoothly.......................
Clutch either IN or OUT. its like riding the clutch while driving. if its not engaged your allowing it to spin on the flywheel and burn up. what tire's and size you have out back? at 3500 you should be hooking better than that at 3500. are they 265/35/18?
Old 09-29-2009, 11:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoobeesnak
I have been looking to replace my older 3 series for something a little more fun and I am torn between two very different vehicles. One being an E39 (2000-2003) and the Boxster S.

If you come across a clean M E39 i'd go for it vs. the S.

I used to have an 01 ACS M E39, and it tops my 986 in terms of performance fun factor, reliability, and practicality.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:24 AM   #7
Engine Surgeon

The clutches in the Boxster and 996 are usually toast and into the rivets at 60K miles.. I have seen some that were smoked at 40K miles.

Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote