Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 07:00 PM   #1

97 coilovers

Hi, I did a search and couldn't find anything. I've been looking at coilovers and a few of them say 98+ and 98-04, so do you guys know if they will fit my 97? I know ksports fit but do the D2's fit? Is there a difference in suspension from 97 to 98? The only thing that I came up with is maybe the thread pitch. Thanks for info you guys provide.

johns_986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:32 PM   #2
Track rat

Garage
PSS9's are a direct fit for our cars 97-99. This is the shock sys. used by Boxsterspec race cars. I am not sure yet what they are worth in terms of improved lap times at the track. Figure about $3k for shocks, install and alignment. Suspension mounting points were beefed up in 98 but install should be the same.

Last edited by Topless; 09-28-2009 at 07:15 AM.
Topless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:52 AM   #3

Most manufacturers are following Porsche's frame modification after the 97 models were released.

Evidently, in Porsche's opinion, our cars (MY97) did not have a strong enough subframe structure to support coilovers and 18+ inch rims, etc. They made it stronger the next year with better steel or more bracing (I've no idea what they did to tell you the truth).

I have Ksport Kontrol coilovers and 18 inch aftermarket carrera lights on my car... and the car is no worse for wear. However, you can't just swap out the factory struts for (insert brand name here) coilovers if you want even tire wear. Adjustable suspension parts are required in the rear and it doesn't hurt to have them up front too to make for the perfect alignment setup for street or track.

... and to add to the slippery slope of expense, 5-7mm spacers may be required to clear the brake lines in the back. I've got them on all four corners.

For me, going to a coilover setup was a $3,000 outlay when it was all said and done. I decided to keep my car for a very long time. After all, $3k is almost 30% of my car's resale value today.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 09-28-2009 at 04:58 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 04:58 PM   #4
Bob Hindson Racing

According to Porsche, the 97 cars are a bit weaker than the 98-up. If the car is street driven, a better choice would be the factor RoW M030 setup. The KSport stuff we've installed we haven't been very impressed by.
Old 12-03-2009, 04:55 AM   #5

This setup here I have fitted to my car was supposedly for 98+ only. Mine is MY97. 3 years on, no problems as far as I can tell. But the ride is harsh and you may not like it for street use.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=11342&hl=coilover
--2007 Maserati Quattroporte Sport GT
Jinster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 06:20 AM   #6

I have a 97 and the dealership added them when it was new. I dont know much about what kind but the springs say TechArt on them. A set of TechArt 3-piece 17" rims were installed as well. 265/40/17 rear and 225/45/17 front. It lowered the car a pretty good bit but its till rides awesome. As far a 97 being rigid, If i jack up one side of the rear, 3 tires lift off the ground!!

I will see if I can find out more about the suspension.

DamageINC123 is offline   Reply With Quote