Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2009, 06:37 PM   #1

RMS Paranoia

Okay, I recently purchased an 04 Boxster and did get the PPI done. The mechanic told me that the RMS was "damp" but was not leaking. They then told me that this could be a simple fix or the entire engine could need to be replaced. WhenI picked thecar up after it got checked out theservice manager said that it was probably not a major issue and I hould just drive the car and see if I notice it getting any worse. Well I have had the car for three weeks and put 1000 miles on itand have not noticed any oil on the garage floor. I was wondering if anyjone could tell me how I would be able to tell if this would be a problem that was the result of a misalligned shaft (according to the mechanic, this would case a RMS leak and lead to a new engine). Is this something I should worry about or should I just do what the dealer said and enjoy the car without worrying about it? Other than that, the car was in great shape although I think it my need a new engine mount at some point. The car had 50k miles and I paid 16,500 and the dealer put on 4 new z rated tires for me as well as gave me free oil changes for lthe life of the car. I would just like to get some opinions as to how much I should worry and what would indicate a major RMS/shaft problem. Thanks

cpsp1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:27 PM   #2

$16,500 for an 04 Boxster?

Excellent price there, friend. Drive the car like you stole it (which you did, by the way) and just keep an eye on your garage floor for oil drips. RMS tears don't happen overnight and the progression is slow.

A RMS leak does not mean you must have your motor replaced. It means you have to have your RMS replaced... and you do the clutch while you've dropped the tranny to do it, even if you only somewhat need one.

I've had my first model year boxster for five years now. I am the third or fourth owner of the car and it was abused something fierce before I bought it.

I rarely if ever think about the RMS issue because it's just not as prevalent as everyone wants to think it is. That oil moisture could be coming from other sources in the motor and dripping down there.

$16,500. Wow.

I paid $15,500 for my 1997 five years ago and it was a POS that needed a tranny as well as a BUNCH of other repairs. Enjoy your new car!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #3

You got a killer deal. Congratulations!

As far as free oil changes for life, you'll be paying for every other oil change, unless you stick to the factory service intervals. The experts on this and other boards seem to unanimously agree that changing oil more frequently than Porsche recommends is a no-brainer, especially if you put hard miles on your Boxster.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:23 PM   #4

Thinking about this more - for what you paid, you can afford to buy another crate motor and leave it in the corner of the garage... just in case.
Old 09-28-2009, 05:34 PM   #5
Bob Hindson Racing

Only way to investigate the RMS is to pull the gearbox. If the car has made it to 50K, the chances are extremely low that the engine will suffer a drooped bearing carrier (which is what led to engines being replaced). An RMS leak is an oil leak, just happens to be a relatively expensive one to fix.