Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2009, 07:09 AM   #1
onshore

Does Porsche Know More Than We Think?

Hello, I'm a new member here and a relatively new owner of my first Porsche a new- to -me 1999 Boxster. Like many driving enthusiasts I started looking a mods for my car to increase performance and have read many of the posts regarding intake, exhaust and chip mods to boost torque and HP. My mechanic is a Fabspeed dealer and wants me to install an exhaust system and cold air intake at a cost of around $2,600 with a claimed HP increase of about 20 HP. At first I was excited about increasing my modest 201 HP Box to 220 HP but started doing some research and have come away with mixed feelings about all the claims for these mods. For instance the PCA techs take the position that exhaust mods are a waste of money unless you want to spend it on a cool sound, which to me would be a waste of money as I already like the sound of my Box and don't want more resonance in the cab while I'm driving. Air intake mods have also been brought into question by one web site that did an extensive test on air filters and showed the filters used on the cold air intake systems allow more particulates into the engine causing increased wear and no HP increase near what is claimed. I don't know anything yet about chip mods as I've just recently become aware of them and have nothing to compare them to. After all the reading I've done, frankly, I've come away with the conclusion that the German engineers knew what they were doing and most, if not all, of these mods are a waste of money. I also know it is difficult for people who have spent money on something to admit that it was a waste so that has to be considered as well. What are your thoughts on the subject of performance mods? Have you installed any that you would sincerely recommend that have increased HP and torque that was proven to you and not just "it sure felt like it had more HP."

Old 09-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #2

Same Boat..

Honestly, I just purchased a 99 6 months ago and after having several other cars that have gotten the modding treatment, I've come to the conclusion that that money is best spent on the consistent repairs/maintenance. This car is expensive to hold on to, and the engineers did do everything right. One thing that makes a HUGE difference, and you need to upgrade at some point: tires. Buy some sticky ones. Easily justified, especially if you're in California and don't need all-season tires.

Jon
Previous Toys:
2005 RX-8, RIP
1989 GTA, 5 Speed, Procharger Supercharger and 2 Core Intercooler, 1 3/4" headers, 3" Flomaster Exhaust, cat-delete, digital ignition, bigger fuel injectors
Oaktown 986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 07:21 AM   #3
Engine Surgeon

Lots of mods are BS, others do offer real performance gains.. The problem is that most parts are sold for the wrong purpose, for a sound or look.. These vendors are not engine developers and generally they know nothing about the internals of the engines.

To see big gains we have to do intervention to cams, heads and compression ratio.. Bolt ons will only give a small percentage of gain, or loss.

The factory did some things right and others very wrong..

Making more real power requires a substantial outlay of funds, but thats the way most any engine is in reality.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:50 AM   #4

Jake is right.

I"ve owned and modified quite a few cars over my lifetime. Some I modded "lightly"...a couple I put WAY too much money into. My boxster is a car I intend to modify "barely" - as like you said, I think most of it is just about perfect out of the box...

one observation I have come away with is that while engine modifications seem to make VERY minimal gains on normally aspirated cars - the same does not hold true with regard to suspension mods.

If you have a 99 boxster with standard suspension and 17" wheels - adding 18" wheels (if they fit), and stiffening up suspension by adding coilovers, sway bars, of the OEM M030 upgrade package - WILL make a substantial difference in handling that you WILL feel. the "bang for the buck" for some suspension mods is huge depending on how your car is setup from the factory.

some of the small cosmetic mods, add no power, but will greatly change the look of your car - if that stuff is important to you. painted bumperettes, for example, are not *that* expensive, and on some color cars - makes a dramatic improvement in the look of the rear end of the car.

one small and relatively inexpensive mod that I also did, which I am happy to have done, was the upgrade the shifter console to the newer 987 one. I paid all of $167 for it, and installed it myself. shift throws are a bit shorter, and much tighter/firmer. I'm sure the $350 short shift version woudl have been better - but if you are trying to be like me - and get the MOST bang out of the LEAST buck, and ONLY mod stuff that really makes a differnce, then this was a great little mod.

if I was going to suggest mods that won't break your bank but will make your car more fun to drive or "nicer to look at", I'd suggest:

paint the bumperettes
987 shifter console
upgrade tail lights and side markets to the 03+ units - you can get these for not too much.
03+ headlights - these are more $$$$ than the tails. if you get litronics it's $$$

desnorkel - free. sounds a bit throatier.

M030 suspension upgrade and 18" wheels. you could probably find the M030 setup fro under $1000. the wheels and tires are not cheap..tires alone will be $1000 for good ones..give or take...and the wheels, if you don't already have 18s, are not cheap. i might suggest looking at some of the knock off wheels...some are very nice and priced right.

when you are dealing with older cars like ours, it becomes silly and counter intuitive to invest too much money into fixin the car up. my car, like yours, is an older one. i have a 2000 base. if you are like me and paid in the neighborhood of 10-12k for your car - spending $2500 on an exhaust system seems like overakill.

spending $176 for a shifter that actually makes it more fun to drive the car - I can live with that.

if I"m going to dump $2500 on an exhaust, I"d rather save that $2500 and just buy a newer/faster/better Porsche to start with. if you are buying an older boxster, you are likely a "budget" minded enthusiast.... the mods I suggested would likely be stuff you woudl enjoy.... good luck.
2006 RL - My daily driver
2000 Boxster - Ocean Blue Base 5spd on Black Full leather. 18" wheels and M030.

Boxster mods I've added: Rear speaker kit, Painted Calipers, Painted Bumperettes, Painted Center Console, 987 Shifter Assembly, 3 Spoke Steering Wheel, Clear side markers, 03+ rear lights, de-snorkeled.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:28 AM   #5
Engine Surgeon

Its all about smart investments in the engine. If you have money to spend on the engine the very first thing you should do is upgrade the IMS bearing, then replace the lifters..

Failed/ failing lifters will cost you performance that no bolt on upgrade will correct... A factory IMS bearing is closer to failing with every start of the engine.

Remember the Hare and the Tortoise??? They proved that you have to make it to the finish line before you can win the race. Added power does you ZERO good if you are boilting it onto an engine with issues or impending failures.

Upgrade the integrity first, then worry about making more power. Thats the wise investment.
Jake Raby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:54 AM   #6
onshore

Thank You!

Thank you all for these posts as I fully agree with what is being said here and have heard nothing so far to the contrary. To be honest the best mod I've done so far has been to change out my wheel to a three spoker and put on an airbag with the painted Porsche crest. I know that sounds irrelevant but I really enjoy the look of my car now and that makes a difference when I drive it. I've been looking at suspension mods and appreciate the input about them as they do seem to give the most return on investment. I've also looked at the clear side lights and headlights and like the look of them on a silver car. I've got new rugs coming that have Porsche in silver embroidered on them and a porsche metal painted crest embedded and am anxious to see how they improve the look. Crazy I know from a 62 year old man but this is my first Porsche and for me it is a dream come true and I'm proud of it. Thanks again!