Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2009, 07:57 PM   #1

Send a message via MSN to Gerardo de Kort
Porsche Motorsport AOS install in 98 Box

Let me just say this..
I have not read of anyone who installed the Porsche Motorsport (bigger) AOS to replace the original Air Oil Separator in the 986 (98) Boxster.
I tried to do this, .. and tried .. and tried..

It is in there for the time being. I haven't even started the engine yet, so not sure it is going to work.

I'll take some pictures (of my most recent attempt) in case this does work.

Really looking forward to putting it back on the ground and taking it for a spin.

Ruf 18" wheels with Michelin PS2s premounted and balanced.
Turbowerx Twin Turbo kit (self installed)
Ruf lowering springs.
Gerardo de Kort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #2

Gerardo:

Curious to know if you were able to make that work. It would be a first, AFAIK.

Where do you manage to find 18" RUF wheels?

They are VERY nice on your Box.

Regards, Maurice.
schoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 08:35 PM   #3

Hey Maurice,

Thanks. I got the wheels from www.rufautocentre.com . They come mounted with Michelins PS2. Not cheap but at least they are really easy to clean.
I hope the reinstall my airbox tomorrow. I'll try and start the car then.
Also thinking of changing motor oil to Mobil 1 10w-30. I had been running the 15w-50. We do have warm weather all year round here but was fearing this was adding more strain on the regular aos (which I have changed twice already in the last 4 years).
Ruf lowering springs.
Old 09-03-2009, 03:48 AM   #4

Aos

I am now using a catch can system for my AOS and it has worked fairly well. I have to empty the can at the track but for normal street driving is find.
catmanluge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 04:30 AM   #5

Actually there are a number of us running the Motorsport AOS in a 986. Mine was installed by a Porsche shop who has done a bunch of these for track / DE cars.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:48 AM   #6

Garage
Catmanluge, we need pics. How did you hook the thing up?
mmontfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:09 PM   #7

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by catmanluge
I am now using a catch can system for my AOS and it has worked fairly well. I have to empty the can at the track but for normal street driving is find.
+1 RE: some pix. I to am very interested in using a catch can vs. AOS (although I just bought a new AOS just in case).
rob76turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 11:24 PM   #8

Hello, sorry about the delay.
I tried several things with the AOS. In the end, what has worked (so far) was the following.
I took an old aos and mutilated it to the point that only the part going into the engine block was left together with the lower bolting part. This was to get a secure fit into the engine block. Hmm I think I might need to draw this.
Of this contraption I cut a little part of the end of the tube essentially changing it from an "L" to just a straight tube.
To this I attached a nylon "L" (from my favorite local hardware store). I believe it was an 1/8". I epoxied this into this remaining aos base.
On the Porsche Motorsport AOS i basically trimmed the lowest tube (which is intended to go into the block for pickup) almost entirely leaving only about 1/8" sticking from the part where it widens.
In here I fitted a nylon connection (which I'll draw later too) enabling me to connect a short rubber hose to the other aos base.
On the other bigger tube/hole at the bottom of the PM AOS I removed the seal and milled part of the ring away allowing for the big hose (which catches the overflowing oil back into the block) to be able to slide in deeper hence allowing the AOS to sit lower in the engine bay. It will fit with the engine cover.
The other trick is to allow the PM AOS to rotate more clock wise so that the hose that feeds back into the intake can pass under the shifter cables..
Wow.. this was more difficult to explain than I thought.
I'll definitely draw it up and take 1 picture from the top to show the routing.

Well, for your perusal I'll attach some pictures of dissected AOSs.

Enjoy.

Ruf lowering springs.