Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 10:05 PM   #1
ViO

Possible Battery problem? CEL came on.

So I get in the car to leave the gym today and I turn the key - the lights dim and I hear a low struggling sound- then I turn the key again while gassing the car and it starts up. This is a 2003 Tiptronic Boxster.

About 1 minute later, the Check engine light goes on, about 2 minutes later I pull into my driveway, turn the car off, go to turn it back on, and the lights start blinking / windows move up and down (as if i was opening the top when it moves the windows down a little bit) and then you just hear the clicking sound.

I tried jumping the car - and it starts perfectly fine.... but the Check engine light is on.. and I let it run for about 15 minutes, then turned it off, and tried to turn it back on... and I had the same problems... Also, the Xenons flicker although all the lights and power work...

Is this a battery issue? I'm bringing my battery to be checked locally first thing tomorrow...

If it is something more serious and the battery checks out- do you guys think I should have the car towed or jump-start it and drive it to the dealership with someone following me.

Anyone ever experience this? I had 27k miles and I've never had any problems other than a headlight and fog light go out on the car.

Also: The battery light is not on only the CEL

ViO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 03:22 AM   #2

Yeah, my car was going through some of the same issues and symptoms last fall. Initially, it was just hesitant to turn over, then (pretty quickly) it stranded me away from home. Called my son, who came and jump-started me. Drove home, trickle charged it, and it was good temporarily.

I was going to go to a local AutoZone to get some diagnostics done, when I experienced the same signs you saw: blinking lights, windows acting as if they were possessed by some sort of demons. The engine was still running---sort of: low RPMs and not responsive to the accelerator. Fortunately, I was uphill from and close to my house. I coasted into a driveway, pushed it back onto the street with the wheel cocked, and coasted home.

Turned out to be the alternator.

Search "battery" and "alternator"; there's lots of info on both. Here's one thread to 'get you started' (excuse the pun ): http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18541

If it's the alternator, fixing it yourself isn't terribly difficult. I did it, and I'm no mechanic.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 05:56 AM   #3

Garage
Agreed sounds like alternator. It is easy (and tough at the same time) to do as it requires moving a large alternator in a very small space, but you can do it! Good time to replace the main drive belt too.
rob76turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:49 PM   #4
ViO

Battery checked out ok...

Asked 2 Mechanic friends, they both said to check one of the fuses next.

Can anyone explain why the car is able to start when jumped but why it won't start on its own with a *working* battery?

Also: do you guys think it would be safe to jump and drive (with someone behind me - just incase) rather than towing? or should I tow it to be safe / avoid some other random problems to the dealer/mechanic?

Last edited by ViO; 08-19-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:04 PM   #5
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Is the "working" battery fully charged?

As long as your belt is still on (if not no power steering, water pump,alternator, et al) jump it and drive it home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViO
Battery checked out ok...

Asked 2 Mechanic friends, they both said to check one of the fuses next.

Can anyone explain why the car is able to start when jumped but why it won't start on its own with a *working* battery?

Also: do you guys think it would be safe to jump and drive (with someone behind me - just incase) rather than towing? or should I tow it to be safe / avoid some other random problems to the dealer/mechanic?
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
ViO

Yes the working battery is fully charged I just picked it up.

I checked fuse C2 (The one for ignition) and it is not blown.

Are there any other fuses I should check? Or have we narrowed it down to the alternator?

I guess I'll put the battery in tomorrow and start the car, drive it to the dealership with someone following me because I need to do my 30k mile service anyway... That is, as long as it starts up, or else I'll have it towed...