Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2005, 07:11 AM   #1

Recommendation for GIAC Dealer

I did my dyno for the Evo intake today and bhp/torque was down almost everywhere except at the peak rpm I'll post a detailed report tomorrow once I get the photos arranged and air temp sensor removed.

Anyway, I figured an ECU mod is now necessary to gain bhp/torque with the mods I've on. GIAC seemed a good choice.

Does anyone knows a responsive dealership for them? I tried Evolution Motorsports (evoms.com) and they just plain ignored my email so I'm not going to bother with them anymore. The main problem is I'm outside USA and need the shop to ensure a quick turnaround. Obvious reason being the longer the ECU is away, the longer I can't drive my car and that's my only car.

clubhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 07:28 AM   #2

hey clubhead,

I lived in singapore for 10 years..now I live in Boston...where in singapore are you??

sorry don't have any suggestions....just saying Hi..!!!!
dennizxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 11:48 AM   #3
Lux

After you installed the EVO, did you give the computer a chance to "relearn" the higher flow? Usually it involves letting the car idle for 10 minutes or so.

Either that or there's a leak somewhere. Although I don't own the EVO myself, I highly doubt that you would not make hp...and to lose hp is really odd.

Lux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:25 PM   #4

Or...

disconnect the battery let the ecu start fresh. Losing power is not good. I spoke with EVO today and they claim min 8h.p gain (probably a peak number). Shouldn't lose power though!
Old 02-25-2005, 01:53 PM   #5

He said he lost hp everywhere except at the extreme highend of the rpm range which is probabbly not uncommon. I wouldn't be suprised if EVO is being a bit optimistic(like most aftermarket parts companies) about an 8hp gain and even then that would only at be at very high rpm.

Last edited by Adam; 02-25-2005 at 01:56 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 02:23 PM   #6
Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
He said he lost hp everywhere except at the extreme highend of the rpm range which is probabbly not uncommon. I wouldn't be suprised if EVO is being a bit optimistic(like most aftermarket parts companies) about an 8hp gain and even then that would only at be at very high rpm.
This would be true for something like a muffler. But for an intake to show gains up top (which means that it is working) and losses down below is suspect. It either flows more air or it doesn't. I really think the a/f mixture is out of whack and the computer needs to readjust.

Clubhead,
I'm really surprised by Evolution ignored your emails. They seemed very helpful when I ordered stuff from them.

Regardless, try contacting Dynospot Racing in San Jose, CA. They might be able to help. http://www.dynospotracing.com/

BTW, isn't Australia closer than the US? Don't they have GIAC dealers?

Old 02-25-2005, 04:03 PM   #7

Many people have baught the evo and proclaimed how happy they were. Now it is manufactured differently to not send a cel. I called them today and was happy with the info I got. Seems like it should not lose power like that. I would have to agree that the mix is off. Sounds like a bad MAF to me. I heard of another guy that lossed like 10 h.p. with an scargo intake on the dyno and I think it was due to maf problems as well. Maybe you got some oil on it.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:24 PM   #8

Yes, I did give the ECU to re-learn. The dyno was done 1 week after I got the thing installed. Have since put about 250miles on the car. I highly doubt there's a problem with the MAF as my idling is fine, just like before. No irregularities.

I don't see any dealers listed the official GIAC website for Australia though. Anyway, I reckon the dealers in US would have more experience with the Boxster as there're relatively in numbers compared to Australia.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:26 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennizxxx
hey clubhead,

I lived in singapore for 10 years..now I live in Boston...where in singapore are you??

sorry don't have any suggestions....just saying Hi..!!!!
Paya Lebar area if it still makes any sense to you
Old 02-26-2005, 12:38 PM   #10
Lux

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubhead
I don't see any dealers listed the official GIAC website for Australia though. Anyway, I reckon the dealers in US would have more experience with the Boxster as there're relatively in numbers compared to Australia.
Understood. Give Dynospot a call. They've done Boxsters before (there's a dyno chart on their site showing a GIAC w/ Evo).