Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2009, 12:53 PM   #1

'Key 2' message...what does it mean?

My 07 Boxster would not start this morning. When I placed the key in the ignition I see 'Key 2' displayed. Anyone know what this means? Also, it seems my ignition switch itself is a little loose. When you put the key in there is a very small amount of wiggle in the switch.

skates15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:44 PM   #2

My friend's 997 does the same thing. I think it just indicates which key you used to open the car or have put into the ignition.

His car has seat memory, so depending which key you use, it automatically sets the driver's seat and rear view mirrors to the preset position.

Were you able to turn the ignition on? (all the warning lights should come on). Were you able to turn the key through the starter position?

If you can't turn the key, try giving the steering wheel a wiggle as you turn the key. It might be resting on the steering lock.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
Sandy.
sandyman65535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #3

It would not start the first few times I turned on the ignition, however once I locked the steering wheel in place, then unlocked it, the car started. I only have 1 key for the car, so its a mystery why it would now see the one key as key number 2. I'll keep checking and thanks for the info.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:22 PM   #4

The guy I bought my from mentioned something like, if i hadn't used the key for a while I would have to do something so the car would recognized it. Sorry but that is all I got on the subject.

SO, GROW A PAIR NANCY AND DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!!
http://i826.photobucket.com/albums/z...Main/MyBox.jpg
mptoledo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mptoledo
The guy I bought my from mentioned something like, if i hadn't used the key for a while I would have to do something so the car would recognized it. Sorry but that is all I got on the subject.

Not at all related. The car's alarm system has a receiver circuit that 'listens' for the transmitter on the remote. After 120 Hrs. (5 days), the system shuts down to reduce battery consumption and will not respond to the key transmitter. To reactivate it, you need to manually unlock the car and start it.

The 'Key 2" the lister is seeing is just that, a second programmed key as was previously explained.

I suspect that the difficulty in starting the car (and the described looseness of the ignition) indicates a possible failing starter (ignition) switch.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 08-03-2009 at 08:09 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:23 AM   #6

Well, the message has gone away. I didn't do anything to eliminate the message.

Thanks for all the replys.